Pumpkin season is in full swing! That means it’s time to break out the pumpkin pie recipes. This particular dessert recipe for Pumpkin Pecan Pie will have you forgetting about apple pies and cherry pies with this one simple recipe.
We know that you’ll love the delicious fall flavors of warm spices, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, pecans, and a buttery crust. It’s sure to be a hit at your Thanksgiving table or any other time of year!
Pumpkin Pecan Pie is a classic Thanksgiving dessert that many home bakers and chefs alike love. The pumpkin puree gives it the perfect amount of sweetness, while the pecans add some crunch.
The best part? It’s easy to make and tastes delicious!
This dish can be served cold or hot with ice cream on top for an added touch of richness. We love that this recipe is quite literally the best of both pie worlds even though it is a bit time-consuming. If you’re looking for something quicker, you’d love our Mini Pumpkin Pies made in muffin tins.
Pumpkin Layer Filling Ingredients
As you’re making your recipe shopping list (and checking it twice), you’ll need to grab some pumpkin pie filling ingredients.
Granulated sugar, canned pumpkin puree, one egg, and pumpkin spice are needed for this recipe. You simply combine the ingredients and layer them onto the formed pie crust before adding the pecan topping.
Pecan Pie Layer Filling Ingredients
For the pecan part of this pie, you will need, light corn syrup, melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and pecan halves.
This layer will bake up to have a crispy, crunchy crust with a more gooey layer under it that sits on top of the pumpkin custard layer.
Homemade Deep Dish Pie Crust
A deep-dish pie is a perfect way to celebrate a holiday or any occasion. But, many people shy away from making their own crust because it can be messy and time-consuming. The good news is that there are still ways to enjoy homemade deep-dish pies without all of these hassles!
You will need all-purpose flour, salt, unsalted butter, vegetable shortening, and ice water. A food processor makes the process of forming the dough so easy!
Pecans – It is best to use roasted, unsalted, halved pecans for this pie because they look better, and taste better. If you use raw pecans, they should be toasted for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F. before being used in this pie.
Pie Crust – You can use a frozen, deep-dish pie crust if you prefer to not make your own pie crust dough. I do believe a sturdy, thick, homemade pie crust makes this pie special.
Corn Syrup – Light corn syrup or dark corn syrup can be used interchangeably in this recipe with little change to the flavor of the pecan layer.
Do you Need to Refrigerate Pumpkin Pecan Pie?
The short answer is YES! This pie will need to be stored in the refrigerator. Pecan pie is best when enjoyed within 2 hours of being baked, and will only last at room temperature for that time frame.
If you want to keep it longer (or bake ahead of time), cool completely, and then transfer it into the fridge or freezer for safekeeping!
Can you Freeze Pumpkin Pecan Pie?
Here are some tips for freezing pumpkin pecan pies that will ensure they stay fresh and delicious for months to come. If you plan on freezing your pie, I always suggest using disposable aluminum foil pans to make it easier to freeze, thaw, etc. With aluminum, you do not have to worry about sudden temperature changes that could crack ceramic or glass pie dishes.
- Bake your pie as usual, cooling completely. You can keep this pie whole, or slice it into individual pieces.
- Wrap each piece, or the entire pie tightly with plastic wrap or foil.
- Store wrapped pie slices, or the whole pie (if it fits) into a gallon-sized zippered freezer bags.
- Freeze until ready to use (up to 3 months)
- Thaw in the refrigerator the night before, slice and serve. It is important not to thaw on the countertop since this pie does have ingredients in it that can spoil if not stored properly.
- You can also warm your pie in the oven (on the center rack) at 350 for 15 minutes to warm pie throughout.
More Pie Recipes to Try This Holiday Season
- Mini Pumpkin Pies made in a Muffin Tin
- Lemon Curd Hand Pies
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Apple Crumble Pie
- Custard Pie
The Best Pumpkin Pecan Pie
- oven (adjusted to the center rack position)
- 9 ½" deep-dish pie dish
- food processor
- mixing bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Rolling Pin
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 5 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour **to roll out pie crust on.
Pumpkin Pie Layer
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Pecan Pie Layer
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecan halves
Homemade Pie Crust
- In a food processor, pulse flour, shortening, butter, and salt until small crumbles form. Add cold water and pulse until dough comes together and forms a ball.1½ cups all-purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, ¼ cup vegetable shortening, 5 tablespoons ice cold water
- Shape the dough ball into a disk and place it in the refigerator for at least 30 minutes to chill.
Pumpkin Pecan Pie
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pie crust and place it over the pie dish. Roll the edges of the pie crust inwards to make a thick crust layer. Using your index finger from one hand, press it into the crust and use your thumb and forefinger to crimp the crust.1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Add all the pumpkin layer ingredients into a bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour it into the pie crust bottom.1 cup pumpkin puree, 1 large egg, ⅓ cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Add all the pecan pie layer ingredients into a bowl and mix until combined. Pour it over the top of the pumpkin layer.2 large eggs, ⅔ cup light corn syrup, ½ cup granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 cup pecan halves
- Place pie into the oven, and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack, and serve warm with optional whipped topping or vanilla ice cream.