Baked Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MySpringClean #TeamSponge #CollectiveBias
Gardening season is upon us here in New England. The other day, my husband was going through a seed catalog to plan out his crops. He stumbled upon eggplant and asked if I would like him to grow some. We grew some on year but our efforts only yielded the cutest, smallest eggplant ever. After that experience, I decided we would save eggplant for the farmer’s market.
That conversation made me crave a nice Eggplant Parmesan (with some fresh basil of course). The weather is warming up quickly, but the temps here in New England went from 80 to 61 so it was actually nice to have the oven on this past Sunday.
We have a recipe for Baked Eggplant Parmesan that reduces a lot of the calories verses a fired version. I use a simply egg wash, and Italian bread crumbs, an organic pasta sauce, and fresh grated cheese. I love a cheesy Eggplant Parmesan but I agreed to reduce the amount of cheese to be less calorie-rich.
Despite loving to cook, I loathe doing the pots and pans. Yes, I do have a dishwasher, but I still prefer hand-washing my larger kitchenware. With the right dish soap and sponges I can get the job done efficiently. The thought of dirty dishes piling up until we have a full capacity dish washing load grosses me out.
For years I have been relying on the Scotch-Brite™ Brand to keep my dishes, counters, and pots and pans clean.
I love the variety of products they have which can be conveniently purchased at Target.
Scotch-Brite® Heavy Duty Scrub Sponges and the Scotch-Brite® Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges are the right tools for every surface. This is why I am #TeamSponge all the way! I prefer sponges over dishcloths because they can clean a variety of surfaces/messes depending on the type I purchase. Dish cloths are great for lighter messes, but I have always been a #TeamSponge kind of girl.
The Heavy Duty variety features a 3M green scrub pad and thinner, yellow sponge. This product can Clean Tough Messes 50% Faster (baked on messes), and is great for the kitchen, garage and outdoors. I use it most on my pots, pans, and oven racks.
The Non-Scratch variety has a fuller sponge and features a softer, 3M blue scrub pad. This sponge is ideal to safely clean non-stick cookware, counter tops, and range tops. I love that it does not scratch up my glass stove-top and cleans it perfectly!
Ok, so how that you know how I keep my kitchen messes under control, now back to this delicious Eggplant Parmesan recipe.
Here is how to make Baked Eggplant Parmesan:
- 3 medium eggplant sliced into ½ inch thick slices
- 2 large eggs whisked
- 2 cups of Italian Bread Crumbs
- ⅓ cup of shredded Asiago sheese
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Fresh Basil -8 leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic minced *optional
- 1 large jar of Organic- low sugar marinara sauce
- Cooking Spray
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
- Spray two large baking sheets with non-stick spray
- Add eggs to a medium sized bowl
- Add bread crumbs to a medium sized bowl
- Dip each slice of eggplant into egg and then breadcrumbs and place on baking sheet
- repeat until done
- Sprinkle eggplant with minced garlic
- Bake eggplant for 6 minutes on each side. Crust will be golden brown-set aside once done
- Prepare a baking dish with ⅓ of the jar of sauce spread over the bottom of the dish
- Line slices of baked eggplant over the sauce
- Top slices with cheese, and sauce, layer again. You should have two layers of eggplant, 3 layers of sauce, and two layers of cheese.
- Top with Basil
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350
- Serve warm
As you can see this looks delicious, but tastes even yummier.
I used about one total cup of cheese verses like 3 cups the way I use to make it.
Baking the eggplant verses frying it also saves some calories and makes this one yummy dish!
Afterwards, clean-up was a breeze thanks to Scotch-Brite™ Brand Sponges.
If you want a quality sponge for every surface, be sure to pick up some Scotch-Brite® Heavy Duty Scrub Sponges and Scotch-Brite® Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges (blue & green sponges) the next time you head to Target.
Be sure to enter the Scotch-Brite™ Scrubstakes and let them know if you are #TeamSponge or #TeamDishCloths! By choosing a side, you will have a chance to win $20,000 towards a kitchen makeover!!!
Do you enjoy Eggplant Parmesan?