This shop has been compensated by Inmar Intelligence and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #spiceupspringtime #CheckOutOurBackside #GreenMountainGringo
In this post, we’ll show you how to make the easiest and tastiest Buffalo Chicken Salad. Cooked and cubed white meat chicken is tossed with green onion, celery, red onion, buffalo wing sauce, sour cream, and light mayonnaise.
If you love the flavor of buffalo chicken wings or dip — this recipe is for you!! It yields a creamy, mildly spicy, and delicious cold or warm chicken salad. Enjoy it on toasted bread, a bed of greens, or even on cheesy nachos.
But wait, we didn’t stop there… As an added bonus, we combined this Buffalo Chicken Salad recipe with an oven-baked nachos recipe to make scrumptious Buffalo Chicken Nachos — what a hit!
The nachos are so fun & tasty. They feature Green Mountain Gringo® Original Tortilla Strips and Green Mountain Gringo® Medium Salsa.
Additional fresh add-ons like blue cheese, peppers, olives, and onion really make these nachos a meal! Baked on a sheet pan, they are simple to assemble and jam-packed with flavor and flair!
Before starting this recipe, you’ll want to verify that you have the following ingredients:
Chicken Salad Ingredients
- Chicken – We used white meat, cooked, cubed chicken. I wanted this to be a chunky salad so this type worked well.
- Celery – Traditional buffalo chicken wings are typically served with celery so we added some for flavor and texture.
- Onion – Red onion adds some pretty color and flavor.
- Green onion – Adds a nice color and flavor.
- Buffalo wing sauce – We added some pre-made, mild wing sauce. We wanted the flavor, but not the extreme heat. Texas Pete® Buffalo Wing Sauce is a great option!
- Sour cream – Adds creaminess, and flavor to this salad.
- Mayonnaise – Add flavor and creaminess.
- Feta Cheese – We added some feta crumbles for a salty flavor and creaminess. You can add blue cheese if you’d like.
Buffalo Chicken Nachos Ingredients
- Green Mountain Gringo® Medium Salsa – We love this brand because they make high-quality, food products for people who care about the ingredients that go into their foods. Their chips and salsa products contain clean, transparent ingredients lists which are always appreciated.
- Green Mountain Gringo® Original Tortilla Strips – These are so versatile and delicious! Made to nourish bodies, these chips are made from the best ingredients and taste great.
- Buffalo Chicken Salad (recipe below)
- Fresh veggies – sliced black olives, cilantro, red pepper, and red onion are used to add color and flavor.
- Cheese – We used a Mexican cheese blend that combines multiple kinds of cheese and melts into a creamy consistency.
Equipment and Supplies Needed
We used the following equipment and supplies to make this recipe. Items that are optional or can be substituted will be noted.
Tools for the Chicken Salad
- Measuring cup(s) – To measure out mayonnaise, sour cream, and buffalo wing sauce.
- Cutting board – A safe surface to chop veggies/chicken.
- Chef’s knife – To chop veggies/chicken
- Large mixing bowl – to combine the chicken and salad ingredients.
Tools for the Buffalo Chicken Nachos
- Large sheet Pan – To bake nachos on.
- Spoon – To spread ingredients over the chips.
- Oven – To bake nachos (on center rack)
Chicken Salad Recipe Tips
These are my tips for ensuring your Buffalo Chicken Salad comes out perfectly.
You can use any boneless, cooked, white meat chicken for this recipe. Freshly grilled, rotisserie, poached, or even canned chicken would work.
We mixed in feta cheese because we love the creaminess and the milder flavor. You can opt for no cheese, or mix-in blue cheese, or even shredded cheddar cheese.
Sour cream and light mayonnaise worked well in this recipe. However, you can use non-fat Greek yogurt and traditional mayonnaise as well.
You can add more wing sauce depending on how hot you like your buffalo chicken. For us, we wanted more of the flavor, but less of the heat.
If you want to store your Buffalo Chicken Salad, just follow these easy steps.
This chicken salad will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days when stored in an airtight container.
At this time, I have not tried freezing this recipe so I am unsure of the results.
Ways to Serve
Buffalo Chicken Salad is versatile and tastes good warm or chilled. You can serve it in the following ways:
- Spread it over baked nachos.
- Add it to the top of a Garden Salad.
- Stuff it in an Avocado or Tomato.
- Make it into a sandwich or sub using toasted bread and serve it with delicious tortilla chips like Green Mountain Gringo® Original Tortilla Strips and Medium Salsa.
- Add it to a wrap, or pita bread.
Follow the recipe below to make Buffalo Chicken Salad! This recipe makes 8 servings, but you can adjust the recipe card for other serving sizes.
Excited to make these nachos? Head here to see where you can find Green Mountain Gringo® products! We found ours at our local Whole Foods Market in the chips and salsa aisle.
Easy Buffalo Chicken Salad (and Nachos) Recipe
- measuring cups
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- mixing bowl
- Wooden Spoon
Buffalo Chicken Salad
- 1½ cups chicken cooked and cubed
- ¾ cup celery chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onion diced
- ¼ cup green onion diced
- ½ cup mild buffalo wing sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
Buffalo Chicken Nachos
- 8 ounces Green Mountain Gringo® Original Tortilla Strips
- 1 cup Buffalo Chicken salad prepared
- 1 cup Mexican cheese blend
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- ½ cup red pepper chopped
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup Green Mountain Gringo® Medium Salsa
Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Add cubed chicken, celery, red onion, green onion, wing sauce, sour cream, light mayonnaise, and feta cheese. Using a large spoon, combine thoroughly.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap to chill salad in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Enjoy chicken salad on your preferred serving medium. See post for suggestions.
Buffalo Chicken Nachos
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking tray with Green Mountain Gringo® Original Tortilla Strips. Scatter half of the shredded cheese on top of chips.
- Add vegetables to the top of the vegetables.
- Add Buffalo chicken salad to the top of the chips, and the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for ten minutes of until cheese is melted.
- Once baked, add Green Mountain Gringo® Medium Salsa, and blue cheese crumbles to the top of the nachos & enjoy!
- This chicken salad will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days when stored in an airtight container. At this time, I have not tried freezing this recipe so I am unsure of the results.
mary johnson says
Looks good. Will have to try. Don’t bother to freeze, mayo will seperate when frozen. Ask me how I know! ;-)