Loaded with cheese, this creamy, baked hashbrown casserole is sure to please even the pickiest eaters.
There are few things more comforting than a warm, cheesy casserole, and this hash brown casserole recipe is the perfect way to indulge your comfort food cravings. The dish is super simple to make, and it’s packed with all of your favorite ingredients, including shredded potatoes, sour cream, and lots of freshly grated cheese. Plus, it can be easily customized to fit your taste preferences.
If your family is like ours, chances are you love the combination of potatoes and cheese. Let’s face it, they are a perfect match in foodie heaven! One of my favorite sides from Cracker Barrel is their Hash Brown Casserole. That was my inspiration to make this cheesy potato dish at home.
Ingredients to Make Hash Brown Casserole
Potatoes – This recipe requires shredded, frozen hashbrowns. I used the McCain brand but you can use any type you prefer. Additionally, be sure to thaw them and remove excess moisture. You can defrost them in the microwave for a minute or so. Use clean paper towels to remove any excess water moisture.
Butter – You can use salted or unsalted butter for this recipe. Just be sure to accommodate the salt – meaning if using salted butter, add less salt to the dish.
Sour Cream – We used whole fat sour cream for this version. You can use plain Greek yogurt or light sour cream.
Cheese – Freshly grated, yellow, sharp cheddar blocks are the best because they do not have binding agents. However, you can use your favorite type of cheese.
Onion – You can use yellow, or Vidalia sweet onion for extra flavor. You can also sautee it before mixing it with the other ingredients.
Soup – Cream of chicken soup is typically used in this recipe, but I used cream of mushroom. Cream of celery is also a delicious option.
Spices – Salt, red pepper sauce, garlic powder, and ground black pepper all add flavor to this casserole. You can tailor your spices to your taste buds.
How to Make Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick spray and set it aside.
Mix the hashbrowns, spices, sour cream, soup, melted butter, and half the shredded cheese in a large bowl.
Add the mixture to the greased casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes (uncovered) until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
Top with green onion or chives before serving. Enjoy!
More Cheesy Casseroles to Try
Love cheese? So do we! Check out these other cheesy casseroles for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
- Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Ham & Cheese Casserole
- Old-Fashioned Pineapple Casserole
- Creamy Ham & Swiss Casserole
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
- 9 x 13 baking dish spray with nonstick spray
- oven adjusted to the center rack position
- large bowl
- food processor or cheese grater
- cutting board & knife
- 32 ounces shredded hash browns thawed, remove excess moisture
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese to be added to the mixture
- ½ cup salted butter melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red pepper sauce
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 10.75 ounces cream of chicken can also use cream of celery or cream of mushroom
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese to be melted on top
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Defrost and remove excess moisture from the hash browns if you're using them from frozen.32 ounces shredded hash browns
- In a large bowl, mix the hashbrowns, spices, sour cream, soup, melted butter, and half the shredded cheese.32 ounces shredded hash browns, 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, ½ cup salted butter, 1 cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon red pepper sauce, 1 medium onion, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, 10.75 ounces cream of chicken
- Add mixture to the greased casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered until the cheese is bubbly and golden-brown.
- Top with green onion or chives before serving! Enjoy