Chocolate Bird’s Nests & Easter Basket Stuffers
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #EasterSweets #CollectiveBias
Can you believe that Easter is already less than 3 weeks away? This year, it falls much earlier than normal and that means I really should pull that Easter tote up from my storage to decorate. I love decorating for Easter, making Easter baskets, and fun Easter DIYs. This year, I’ve been experimenting with some fun Easter treats from some of my favorite candy brands. This past weekend, I made some Chocolate Bird’s Nests from melting wafers and filled them with delicious Easter-themed candies from DOVE, and M&M’s White Strawberry Shortcake.
I have a friend who loves making her own chocolate art, and it really inspired me to make these Chocolate Bird’s Nests. The technique was super easy but required some tips that I will share below. I plan on making these again for Easter desserts for after our traditional ham dinner.
During my weekly trip to Target (my favorite store), I couldn’t help but getting lost in their amazing Easter seasonal section. All the candy, Easter Basket Stuffers, and treats really made me smile! I even picked up some early Easter Basket fillers, and some candy to not only fill my Chocolate Bird’s Nests with, but also for our annual Egg hunt. I used my Target Cartwheel savings which was awesome. My family looks forward to our egg hunt just as much as the desserts we all love after dinner.
I picked up some M&M’s White Strawberry Shortcake (which are only being sold at Target for a limited time), Starburst Sweet & Sour Jellybeans, Starburst Original Jellybeans, DOVE Peanut Butter Eggs, and some DOVE Milk Chocolate Eggs. The decision was hard because there were just so many appealing Easter candies from the MARS and WRIGLEY family of products.
Whoever gets this one is going to really enjoy it! I know I sure would love all that yummy candy, and fun additions!
Ok, so back to those Chocolate Bird’s Nests– aren’t they super cute? The best part is that they takes minutes to make, can vary in size, set fast, and are scrumptious! We filled our’s with M&M’s White Strawberry Shortcake, and DOVE Peanut Butter Eggs.
Here is how to make Chocolate Bird’s Nests:
Chocolate Bird's Nests & Easter Basket Stuffers
- 1 bag Cocoa Melting Wafers
- Sweetened Coconut Flakes
- Plastic Wrap
- 4 small bowls
- 1 freezer bag
- Baking Sheet
- DOVE Peanut Butter Eggs
- M&M's White Strawberry Shortcake
- Cover the outside of your bowls in plastic wrap and place them in the freezer for 5-10 minutes
- Add coconut flakes to a baking sheet, and bake for 5-8 mins at 350; mixing at least 2 times to rotate the flakes and toast them evenly
- Melt chocolate wafers in a double boiler
- Add melted chocolate to a freezer bag and snip off a tiny corner to make a Piping bag.
- Place chilled bowls on a plate, or sheet and carefully drizzle up and down to cover the bowls. You want to form lines and not just heavily coat the bowl.
- Once bowls are drizzled, place them in the fridge to set for 10 minutes
- Carefully remove the saran/chocolate nest from each plate to fill with cooled toasted coconut and chocolate products.
- Wrap with cellophane and tie with a ribbon for Easter parties.
These nests were not only pretty, but the toasted coconut, and candy inside was AWESOME.
I decided to also fill some plastic eggs toys with some Starburst Sweet & Sour Jellybeans which are equally amazing!
Now that I made you all want some sweet treats, I wanted to share that there will be an Easter sampling event at Super Target stores on 3/20th. Try some of these candies from my post, and get inspired to put together the perfect Easter basket.
What are some of your favorite Easter Basket fillers?