This eggroll is a bowl recipe is perfect for those that are following wholesome eating plans like low-carb lifestyles. It features seasoned, ground pork, thin sliced onion, cabbage, and fresh garlic.
Did you know that Chinese New Year is celebrated on February 5th? While my family is not of Asian heritage, we love Asian-inspired meals that include staples like fried rice, egg rolls, dumplings, and more! The truth be told–I have not mastered the art of Asian cooking. However, I do love this eggroll in a bowl meal!
This deconstructed eggroll meal is a cheap and easy meal to make. It is naturally lower in carbs and is a perfect way to use up extra cabbage.
- ground pork
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- sea salt
- black pepper
- sweet onion
- sesame oil
- chicken stock
- liquid aminos
- ground ginger
- green onion
Since egg rolls are one of my family’s favorite Asian side dish, I thought it would be great to try to make this spin on classic. We do not fry anything in our home, so this meal is more along our style of cooking fresh.
Like with any recipe, there are substitutions that can be made. You can add in 1/4 cup of shredded carrots to this meal.
Additionally, you can use soy sauce instead of the liquid aminos.
Fresh ginger can also be used instead of ground ginger. However, I would reduce it to 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger since it is naturally spicy.
If you cannot find sweet onion, you can use a standard yellow onion.
Shredded cabbage typically found in the produce section can be used instead of fresh cabbage. Coleslaw mix can also be used which has sliced carrots and red cabbage in it.
We have not tried to freeze this meal. However, it does last up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Eggroll in a Bowl
- cutting board
- cutting knife
- large wok or skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- garlic press (optional)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large sweet onion sliced thin
- 4 whole cloves garlic minced or pressed for best flavor
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 pound cabbage sliced thin *Can also use coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos *can also use soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons green onion for garnishing*
- In a large wok, add ground pork, onion, and garlic. Season with salt, pepper, onion, and garlic powder, and cook until browned.
- Stir in sesame oil, sliced cabbage, chicken stock, ginger, and aminos; cook for an additional 7 minutes over low-medium heat or until cabbage is cooked but not mushy.
- Remove from heat and serve warm with green onions for garnishing.