The Best Taco Meat I’ve Ever Made! Family Tested and Approved!
Thank you to the Mushroom Council for sponsoring this post. Make the pledge to be a blenditarian and share what drives you to do better!
/ ,blend-ǝ-‘ter-ē- ǝn / noun /
One who believes that the mighty, meaty mushroom makes meals more delicious, nutritious and sustainable! Scroll down to see how I am taking the challenge.
Tacos are one of them meals that my family could literally “live” on. My kids request them every week and I totally do not mind because they make for a super easy meal. Lately, however, I am trying to add some extra nutrition to my meals. I swapped out iceberg lettuce for organic greens, added olives, and now use organic corn shells. My kids have no idea that I am making dinner more nutritious and that is ok because, if those picky buggers knew they probably would not eat.
The Secret to Moist Flavorful Taco Meat:
The key to making the moistest and flavorful taco meat is to add ground brown mushrooms to the ground beef in a 2 parts ground beef, 1 part ground mushroom mixture. It might sound strange, but trust me, it makes for the best taco meat ever!This makes us Blenditarians–scroll down below for more info!
Make Your Taco Meat More Nutritious!
This not only stretches the ground beef and provided leftovers, but it also adds some nutritional bang for the buck! Mushrooms are fat-free, cholesterol free, low in calories, and provide important nutrients like vitamin D, B vitamins, antioxidants and potassium. By blending mushrooms with meat, you also get an easy serving of vegetables to the plate which this Momma loves!
The best part is you cannot even tell when you look at the meat so my picky eaters have no idea they’re getting an extra dose of goodness! Overall, I have to say, this recipe makes for some delicious tacos and easy leftovers. To warm the meat mixture for the next day, I simply added it to a skillet and heated on low.
You too can add extra nutrition to your ground beef based meals! Make the pledge to be a Blenditarian and share what drives you to do better!
Pin this for later:
The Best Taco Meat Recipe Ever!
- 2 lbs 80% ground beef
- 1 lb brown or white mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons organic taco seasoning *use can use non-organic if you prefer
- 12 count white corn taco shells
- 2 cups organic greens *use can use non-organic if you prefer
- 1/4 cup olives sliced
- 2 whole Plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese
- Ground mushrooms up in a food processor.
- Once done, add them to a large skillet with olive oil and beef.
- Cook until beef is browned; about 8 or so minutes over medium heat.
- Turn stove off, and then carefully drain grease into a glass bowl. I use a turkey baster to cautiously remove the grease and add it into a ceramic or glass cup. I then allow it to harden before throwing it out. Grease is very harmful for drains and will reek havoc if you continuously dump grease down.
- Once excess grease is removed, add taco seasoning, and 1/4 cup of water to drained mixture, and cook over low heat and allow it to simmer.
- Prepare your tacos when you all are ready to eat. Add fresh veggies as wanted, and enjoy!
You have to have mushrooms or its Doesn’t make a TACO. Omg.
That sounds amazing! I love mushrooms! My kids and my husband won’t eat mushrooms. However, they will if they don’t see it! I recently made a dish that had finely chopped mushrooms in it, and no one noticed! haha They all ate it.
Oh wow! I love what you did to the mushrooms here! I am so trying this!
Claudia Krusch says
We eat taco’s every week in our home, we do like a taco buffet! This is a great way to get extra veggies to it!
I can’t get enough of mushrooms… we add them to pizza, chili, omelets, etc. I never thought of adding them to our tacos, though… that’s definitely on my list of things to try next.
My kids don’t like mushrooms but my husband and I love them. I like the idea of grounding up the mushrooms.
What a great idea to add mushrooms to the taco meat. I’ll have to try that the next time we have tacos.
Mama to 6 Blessings says
We eat taco’s practically every week in our home. This is a great way to get extra veggies and my kids would not even know it!
I am OBSESSED with tacos but I have NEVER tried them your way! That looks really good – I think my husband would love it.
Melissa Chapman says
I am trying t be vegan so I am very fond of mushrooms. I am glad they have such nutritious value. Your blendatarian lifestyle sounds so great too.
I am literally giddy at this idea! My daughter has recently quit eating mushrooms that she has enjoyed for years. This is a great way to sneak them into her favorite food. My son could eat them too! I love sneaking a healthy food discreetly into another one. Thank you for sharing!