In this post, we’ll show you how to make the best ever Lasagna Roll Ups. These are the cheesiest, most hearty beef and cheese roll ups ever! If you are sick of your lasagna layers falling apart when serving, these are for you! Each roll has all the fillings neatly tucked inside. Serve a perfectly portion roll to each person at dinner time!
This meal is made with 4 cheese, ground beef, lasagna noodles, and some other delicious pantry staples. It is a little more involved than most of our recipes, but each steps gets you closer to the delicious, final dish.
Whether you’re in the mood for a classic lasagna, muffin tin lasagna, or lasagna skillet, we have something for every craving! We even have the best side for this meal which is this Italian Garlic Bread with Cheese.
Before starting this recipe, you’ll want to verify that you have the following ingredients:
- Ground beef – We always prefer 80/20 ground beef because it is the least expensive and has the most fat content for flavor.
- Lasagna noodles – This recipe requires the classic boiled lasagna noodles which hold the meat and cheese filling.
- Cheese – There is no shortage of cheese in this dish. Fresh mozzarella, ricotta, and cottage cheese make this recipe shine.
- Fresh basil – Adds a fragrant, aromatic flavor that really pops when added to both the mixture, and as a garnish on the final dish.
- Marinara Sauce – You can use your favorite variety for this dish. Just make sure your jar is it at least 14.4 ounces. You can go as high are 24 if you like a saucy meal.
- Spices – Salt, pepper, onion, and garlic powder come together to season the beef mixture in this dish.
Equipment and Supplies Needed
We used the following equipment and supplies to make this recipe. Items that are optional or can be substituted will be noted.
- 6-quart stock pot – To boil lasagna noodles until al dente.
- 9 x 13 deep-walled baking dish – To bake the lasagna roll ups.
- skillet – To pan fry the ground beef.
- spatula – To stir the meat as it browns.
- slotted spoon – Used to remove the meat from the skillet to avoid excess grease.
- large mixing bowl – Your meat and cheese mixture will be mixed in this.
- wooden spoon – To combine the cheese, and meat mixture.
- large cutting board – To lay out your noodles before stuffing them.
- knife – to mince the fresh herbs.
Recipe Tips & Variations
This recipe is easy to make if you know the right tips and tricks! Here are my tips for ensuring your Lasagna Rolls comes out perfectly.
Boil pasta in salted water until al dente. Once these noodles are done, drain the excess water and rinse them with cold water. We used an extra large cutting board to line them, pat, them dry, and stuff them. A clean work surface also works well.
We used 80/20 ground beef because it has great fat content and flavor. You can use 85/15 ground beef, ground Italian sausage, turkey, chicken, deer, bison, or meatless crumbles. These would all taste delicious in this recipe.
I love how nicely freshly grated/processed cheese is. It tastes better and melts so perfectly. If you are short on time, or do not mind pre-packed, shredded cheese go for it! Shredded mozzarella, Italian, or pizza blend would all be nice options for this meal.
This recipe works well with as little as 14.4 ounces of sauce, or as much as 24 ounces of sauce. It is very flexible on the flavor, and style so use what you love!
Fresh basil tastes wonder when sprinkled on top of this dish. However, you can sprinkle yours with fresh Italian herb mix, oregano, or parsley
If you want to store your Lasagna Roll Ups, just follow these easy steps.
Making ahead of time
To make lasagna roll ups ahead of time simply do all of the above steps but do not bake the dish. Cover it with an airtight cover or wrap and store in the fridge until ready to make it for up to 24 hours.
For freezing, assemble all rolls but do not bake the dish. Cover disposable pans with lids, and secure with plastic wrap. Label the pan with the date, cooking directions, and meal type.
To prevent any accidents or glass shattering, I always suggest making freezer meals in disposable aluminum foil pans. This prevents any adverse reactions to temperature changes.
Follow the recipe below to make Lasagna Roll Ups! This recipe makes 9 servings, but you can adjust the recipe card for other serving sizes.
Easy Lasagna Roll Ups
- 6-quart stock pot
- 9 x 13 deep-walled baking dish
- slotted spoon
- large mixing bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- large cutting board
- 12 Lasagna noodles You will just need 9 but should always make a few more in case one or two break.
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese block, grated
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 14.4 ounces marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons basil chopped
- Boil your noodles until they are al dente. Remove noodles & rinse them with cold water; drain.
- Add fresh cheese to a food processor and pulse until just grated; set aside. Additionally you can grate cheese by hand.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Pan fry the hamburger (add spices) & drain any excess grease; set aside.
- Add meat mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add the cottage cheese, & ricotta cheese to your meat mixture. Mix all the ingredients together-set aside.
- Add 3/4 of marinara sauce jar to the bottom of a 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- Lay out each noodle on a flat surface & fill with meat & cheese mixture. Wrap up each roll & place them in the sauce lined pan; finish with freshly grated cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350° F. Sprinkle with fresh basil & allow rolls to set for 15 minutes before serving.