This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FALLInLoveWithHatfield #REDiscover #simplyhatfield #CollectiveBias
Low-Carb Sausage Stuffed Peppers are a delicious and easy stuffed bell pepper recipe. They feature spicy, Hatfield® Recipe Essentials Hot Italian Ground Sausage, mushroom, onion, marinara and a sprinkle of cheeses. This recipe is low in sugar and is mighty scrumptious.
Now that the chilly days of fall have finally arrived, it is time to break out all the comfort foods. Oven-baked recipes like stuffed peppers are a family favorite.
My mom would always use a blend of ground hamburger and Italian sausage to make her stuffed peppers, and she would typically add rice.
For this recipe, I opted to not use rice, and stuck with a blend of onion and white mushroom to make my meat sauce thicker. I used a low-sugar (1 gram per 1/2 cup) marinara to bind the ingredients together, and make a tasty, thick stuffing.
Since our family loves heat, I used Hatfield Recipe Essentials Hot Italian Ground Sausage. This product is available at the fresh meat meat counter section of Stop & Shop and comes in a variety of flavors.
Hatfield Recipe Essentials Hot Italian Ground Sausage is so versatile, convenient, and flavorful. I love how it is already ground so adding it to my skillet with chopped veggies is a breeze! It also makes low-carb living a breeze!
Ingredients needed for Low-Carb Stuffed Peppers
- 3 large bell peppers, washed, dried, halved, seeded
- 1 package of Hatfield Recipe Essentials Hot Italian Ground Sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup low-sugar marinara
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
Tips for Making Stuffed Bell Peppers
For baking, use a deep-walled casserole dish that can snugly fit your peppers. This will keep them in place nicely.
Cut peppers halfway lengthwise which produces two portions
You can add add a hamburger mixture if you wish. You would need more peppers though because it would produce more filling.
If you like your pepper firmer, a bake time of 30 minutes is optimal. If you like your pepper softer, 50 minutes is best.
Add cheese during the last 10 minutes of baking so it remains creamy. I made the mistake of baking with it on right away, don’t do that.
Find Hatfield Sausage products at Stop & Shop in the pork section of your meat counter.
Low-Carb Sausage Stuffed Peppers
- 3 Green bell peppers washed, dried, halved, seeded
- 12 oz Hatfield Recipe Essentials Hot Italian Ground Sausage
- 1 yellow onion small, diced
- 1/2 cup white mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup marinara low-sugar variety only
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 3 tbsps Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash, dry, and cut bell peppers in half lengthwise.
- Add bell peppers to a casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, add mushroom, onion, and sausage.
- Cook until sausage is browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Drain excess grease from the pan.
- Add marinara directly to the skillet and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Scoop an even amount of mixture into each pepper. This recipe fills exactly 6 halves of large bell peppers.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 f.
- Remove pan from oven and top peppers with cheese.
- Place peppers back in the oven, and bake for 10 more minutes for firmer peppers or 30 minutes for softer peppers. (you will want to delay this cheese step until the last 10 minutes of your longer baking time if you opt for softer peppers.
- Enjoy warm!