Make this Portuguese Stuffing, but without Meat!
I know this is totally a random recipe as we enter the steamy and very humid month of June, but I felt compelled to share it. This past weekend we had a family cookout and my mom brought over some Portuguese bread rolls or papo-seco (pop-secs). We didn’t end up using them so they sat on my counter for almost 3 days. If you have ever had these rolls before, you know they get pretty stale fast.
So I immediately thought to make my delicious Portuguese Stuffing without meat because I had everything in my fridge and pantry. Plus, this stuffing recipe is so super easy and takes literally like 15 minutes to make! It will pair well with my grilled chicken later tonight! I did have chourico in my fridge too, but I wanted it to be meatless this time around.
The very first time I made my meatless stuffing, my family devoured it super quickly! It has a very addictive taste that is mild, and so delicious. Around the holidays I generally make 3-4 times this recipe, but for a regular 1-2 meal side the recipe below will comfortably serve 6. The ingredients are fairly common too so you may even be able to make this tonight!
This stuffing can be kept in the fridge for about 3 days, or even frozen too!
How to Make Meatless Stuffing
- 12 Portuguese Buns *2-3 day old bread works best
- 1 large onion
- celery 1/2 cup
- 12 tablespoons butter
- chicken stock- 1 1/2 cups
- poultry seasoning- 1 tablespoon
- salt & pepper- to taste
Place your stick of butter in a stock pan over medium heat; melt
Using a food processor finely chop your onion and celery.
Add your chopped veggies to the butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Chop bread into bite sized pieces; add to the stockpot.
Thoroughly mix bread with the butter, and veggies; slowly add in chicken stock.
Cook for 1o minutes over medium heat; constantly stirring to slightly brown all surfaces.
Serve as a side for just about any meal. We love this around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.
Get the printable version of this Portuguese Stuffing without Meat below!
Portuguese Meatless Stuffing Recipe
- 12 rolls Portuguese Papa-Seco (buns)
- 1 onion
- 2 large stalks celery
- 12 tbsp salted butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Using a Food processor finely chop your onion and celery.
- Chop bread into bite sized pieces. You can use your fingers.
- Place your stick of butter in a stock pan over medium heat; melt.
- Add your chopped veggies to the butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Thoroughly mix bread with the butter, and veggies; slowly add in chicken stock.
- Cook for 1o minutes over medium heat; constantly stirring to slightly brown all surfaces.
- Serve as a side for just about any meal. We love this around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.