These bakery style Orange Cranberry Muffins a bursting with vibrant citrus and fresh cranberry flavor. They bake up to a golden brown, fluffy, moist muffin that is perfect for the colder weather season.
This recipe is based on our popular Orange Cranberry Loaf recipe which is also featured on the official Domino® Sugar website.
If you are looking for the perfect recipe to use fresh cranberries in, you have come to the right place. All you need is one cup of fresh, whole berry cranberries to make these fluffy bakery style muffins.
The fresh orange juice & zest provide these muffins with a nice flavor that pairs so good with the naturally tart berries.
Orange Cranberry Muffins Ingredients
- unbleached, all-purpose flour
- granulated or unrefined golden sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- orange (zest & juice)
- buttermilk * see notes below in recipe card
- melted, unsalted butter
- whole cranberries
Do You Need to Cook Whole Cranberries Before Baking?
No, you do not need to precook your cranberries before baking. Despite the tartness of a whole, plain, cranberry, there is no need to precook them before adding them to this bread batter. Simply add them to the batter whole and they will burst while baking.
How to Make Homemade Buttermilk
Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to 2/3 cup of whole milk. Allow to sit for for 5-10 minutes.
Can You Freeze Orange Cranberry Muffins?
You can freeze cranberry orange loaf once it is fully cooled. Wrap in aluminum foil and then place it in an airtight freezer bag. If you can use a food saver that would work even better. As with most baked goods, this will last up to 3 months in a deep freezer.
More Bakery Style Muffins
- Jumbo Corn Muffins
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Zucchini Chip Muffins
- Gingerbread Muffins
- Jumbo Pumpkin Caramel Muffins
Jumbo Orange Cranberry Muffins
- muffins tins
- large bowl
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar You can also use Domino Golden sugar, or an unprocessed version
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 tbsps. melted unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice + zest zest entire large orange
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Line your muffin tin with paper liners.
- Using a zester, remove outer orange zest skin. Do not zest more than the top layer because the pith is bitter. Once zested, roll orange on a hard surface to get juices flowing. Slice it in half and juice. You should have 1/3 cup of juice.
- Add flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and sugar to a large bowl and whisk until combined.
- Add egg, melted butter, juice, zest, and buttermilk to the bowl and combine with a wooden spoon until no more flour streaks. Fold in cranberries.
- Using an ice cream scooper, add batter to muffin tins. I made 6 jumbo muffins and 2 regular sized muffins. You should however be able to make 15 standard sized muffins.
- Bake muffins for 22-25 minutes. They time varies a little on these, so please check them at the 22 minute mark. They should be slightly golden brown and have springy tops once done.