This must-try Creamy Southwest Potato Salad features garden-fresh sweet corn, yellow pepper, red onion, egg, and a blend of delicious spices.
The grilling season is rocking and rolling! What kind of delicious grilled food have you been enjoying? We have already had some yummy kabobs and wraps recently. Our latest, most flavorful grilled meal were these Southwestern Grilled Turkey Burgers, and Creamy Southwest Potato Salad.
I don’t know about you, but I love a juicy burger with melted cheese hot off the grill. There is something so magical about adding that slice of cheese seconds before taking the burgers off the grill.
One of the best parts of enjoying a grilled meal are the side dishes. For the summer, I tend to make a ton of salads. Potato salad is a standby recipe that I love because it can be made so many different ways. Typically I will make a Dill Potato Salad, but I decided to mix things up and try this Creamy Southwest Potato Salad.
Since I love the combination of peppers, and corn with my mashed potatoes I figured working these fresh ingredients into a creamy potato salad would produce some delicious results.
I made purposely made 4 lbs of salad to make sure I had plenty of leftovers for the week.
This recipe is a little time-consuming with the chopping so I wanted my time investment to pay off for a few days of sides.
(( I made enough for 4 lbs – you can easily reduce these ingredients to taste, but this is enough for 12-15 servings! Perfect for a BBQ or potluck!))
- 4 lbs of all-purpose potatoes- scrubbed, peeled, and diced into small chunks
- 1 large yellow bell pepper- washed, de-seeded, and chopped
- 2 ears of sweet corn grilled, or steamed, and cut off the husk
- 2 tablespoons cilantro-washed, and chopped
- 1 medium red onion- peeled, and chopped into smaller pieces
- 2 eggs- boil with potatoes- peel, and chop
- 1/4 tsp of chili powder, cumin, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and salt
- 1/2 cup mayo
Add cut potatoes and eggs to boiling water.
Boil egg and potato until tender (about 30 minutes).
Cool off potatoes/eggs with cool water.
Drain water from potato and eggs.
Set aside eggs and peel them.
Add strained potatoes to a large bowl.
Add in chopped egg, bell pepper, onion, sweet corn, and cilantro.
Add in mayo and spices, and combine until creamy and fully mixed.
Cover bowl and place it in the fridge until chilled. This is best the next day or after a few hours after the flavors have really melded.
Enjoy with a Southwestern Turkey Burger!
Make a Southwest Turkey Burger
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon red onion
- 1 avocado(remove pit)
- 1/4 tsp lime juice
- salt & pepper
- Jalapeno cheese
- JENNIE-O® 1/4 lb. Seasoned Turkey Burgers
Grill burgers until they have an internal temp of 165 degrees.
Add cheese during last cooking minute.
In a medium bowl combine avocado, cilantro, red onion, lime juice, and spices.
Spread guacamole onto a seeded burger bun, add melted cheese turkey burger, and tomato.
Enjoy with some creamy potato salad.
Creamy Southwest Potato Salad With Sweet Corn Recipe
- 4 lbs all purpose potatoes washed, peeled, cut into small chunks, boiled
- 1 large yellow bell pepper washed, de-seeded, and chopped
- 2 ears sweet corn steamed or grilled, and then removed from husk
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 2 large eggs hard-boiled, peeled, diced
- 1/4 tsp paprika, cumin, black pepper, salt, garlic powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Add cut potatoes and eggs to boiling water.
- Boil egg and potato until tender (about 30 minutes).
- Cool off potatoes/eggs with cool water.
- Drain water from potato and eggs.
- Set aside eggs and peel them.
- Add strained potatoes to a large bowl.
- Add in chopped egg, bell pepper, onion, sweet corn, and cilantro.
- Add in mayo and spices, and combine until creamy and fully mixed.
- Cover bowl and place it in the fridge until chilled. This is best the next day or after a few hours after the flavors have really melded.