Vodka Gelatin Fish Bowl
With the Summer unofficially started and the warm weather here to stay (hopefully) I am all about refreshing drinks, and fun party ideas. I was surfing the net for a good tutorial on how to make gelatin fish bowls and came across one on Martha Stewart that inspired me. I did not use her recipe because I wanted to make something fun for the adults, but I did like the idea. I figured the soon to be released Finding Dory was a good excuse to have some adult fun!
Sure, my kids are excited to see Finding Dory too, and I guess I am sorta happy too. I loved Finding Nemo even though it was kinda sad..what can I say? I am a total movie sap! Anyhow, since the New Years, I’ve had this bottle of Pinacle Vodka Red Licorice staring at me. I loved their Red Fish flavor but I couldn’t find that at our local store so this was the next best flavor. Anyhow, I thought it would be perfect for Jello-Shots eventually, but when I came across this Vodka Gelatin Fish Bowl is really caught my eye, and I had to make it.
However, don’t let these cute photos fool you. This project was quite the adventure and almost was a Pinterest Fail. Those bubbly marshmallows? I thought they’d stay at the bottom of the sea. Most of them melted with the hot liquid, hence the cloudy look, and yes they floated to the top. Oh, and those two fish you see at the bottom of the “sea” those things legit sank faster than my heart when I see my electric bill.
My best advice is to have patience, and not add the marshmallows until your gelatin is cold but not fully set.
Oh, and when you want to add your fish…make sure your gelatin is firm for at least 6 hours.
You’ll want to use a sharp knife and BBQ skewer to adjust them properly.
Pin this for Later:
Vodka Gelatin Fish Bowl
- 4 packets Gelatin Can sub for 2 boxes of blue raspberry jello
- 1 cup Marshmallows
- 10 Red Fish I ate a few more than I should have..haha
- Pinnacle Red Fish or Licorice Vodka
- 1 toothpicks worth of Wilton Sky Blue food gel
- Basically, make the gelatin or Jello according to the package instructions. Just use Vodka wherever water is called for. You could also sub in half flat lemon-lime soda and half vodka if you do not want this ocean to "rock your world".
- One done, add to your fishbowl, and chill for one hour before adding the marshmallows. They will float.
- After the jello is almost fully set, 4-6 hours, add your red fish. A sharp knife and BBQ skewer with help you to adjust your fish..don't eat too many.