Flavorful Shepard's Pie Made with Mushrooms & Beef
A comforting nostalgic dish that is made extra flavorful with brown mushrooms, and beef stock. This blended meat filling will jazz up your next Shepard's Pie meal.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr 15 mins
Servings: 8 people
- 1 package brown mushrooms Grind in food processor until the consistency of ground beef
- 1 lb 80% ground beef
- 1/4 cup Beef Stock *optional- you do not need this. I feel like it increases the flavor of the mushrooms.
- onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt *season to your taste. I found this blend works best to complement these flavors.
- 1 medium Onion Blended with mushrooms
- 1 stick Butter salted
- 5 large Idaho potatoes
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 package corn I use the steam bags- follow directions, and drain extra liquid.
- paprika, black pepper *to season corn & the top of the Shepard's pie.
Meat & Mushroom blend
In a large skillet, add hamburger and food processed onion & mushroom blend.
Add spices, and stock.
You will notice a lot of liquid. You need to allow it to mainly cook off by keeping the heat to a medium high temp. Additionally, you can opt to drain it after the meat is cooked through. This will take about ten minutes or so.
Once meat is cooked, and liquid has cooked off, set aside.
Potatoes & Corn
Simultaneously, while cooking the mushroom and beef blend, start the potatoes.
In a stock pot bring water to a boil and cook potatoes. Boil until fork tender or about 20 minutes. Once they are done, drain liquid. Add butter directly to the potatoes in the pot. Add milk, and mash with a potato masher.
After draining the excess liquid from the corn, layer it in a casserole dish.
Then, add the drained meat and mushroom mixture.
Lastly, smooth the potatoes over the top. You can add some paprika to the top for a smoky flavor.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. The potatoes will form a crust.