Flavorful Shepard’s Pie Made with Mushrooms & Beef
Ever since I started to cook, mushrooms have been a favorite of mine. I love them with my roast beef meals, I love them stuffed, and I really love them in my cheesy dip recipe. They are just so hearty, and beneficial. There was even a point in my life where I was growing my own indoors. That is why I am super happy to have taken the Blenditarian Pledge.
What is this pledge you ask?
I’m a Blenditarian because I love adding more nutrition and flavor to my meals without my kids knowing. While I am a mushroom lover, my picky eaters are not quite on board. But, what they do not know is the Shepard’s Pie I made last week had both ground beef & mushrooms in it.
Total mom score right there.
Did you know blending mushrooms with ground beef is really easy and can help you stretch your beef among a bunch of other benefits? For the best results, you should food process your mushrooms to a meaty consistency. Mushrooms are fat-free, cholesterol free, low in calories, and provide important nutrients like vitamin D, B vitamins, antioxidants, and potassium.
This can help you get more nutritional bang for you buck with your meal. I really also love that mushrooms require minimal growing space and water, and are ready to harvest in just a matter of days, making them one of the most earth-friendly and renewable crops available.
It is a win/win!!
Plus, they taste mighty yummy in this Flavorful Shepard’s Pie Made with Mushrooms & Beef. My mom would make this meal every single week when I was a kid and I never appreciated it until I was an adult. She didn’t use mushrooms in her rendition, but I decided that I wanted to make mine a little better for my kids.
My mom used to use instant mashed potatoes when I was a kid, but I prefer to make homemade mashed potatoes.
I do occasionally use a full stick of butter but the ratio to potato is perfect in my opinion.
If you are watching your diet you can sub in beef stock for some adding flavor.
Want to make this Flavorful Shepard’s Pie Made with Mushrooms & Beef? Check out the printable recipe below.
Will you be trying this blenditarian approved recipe? Let me know below! I will be featuring three more blenditarian recipes this year! Stay tuned for more deliciousness!
Pin this for later:
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Flavorful Shepard's Pie Made with Mushrooms & Beef
- 1 package brown mushrooms Grind in food processor until the consistency of ground beef
- 1 lb 80% ground beef
- 1/4 cup Beef Stock *optional- you do not need this. I feel like it increases the flavor of the mushrooms.
- onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt *season to your taste. I found this blend works best to complement these flavors.
- 1 medium Onion Blended with mushrooms
- 1 stick Butter salted
- 5 large Idaho potatoes
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 package corn I use the steam bags- follow directions, and drain extra liquid.
- paprika, black pepper *to season corn & the top of the Shepard's pie.
Meat & Mushroom blend
- In a large skillet, add hamburger and food processed onion & mushroom blend.
- Add spices, and stock.
- You will notice a lot of liquid. You need to allow it to mainly cook off by keeping the heat to a medium high temp. Additionally, you can opt to drain it after the meat is cooked through. This will take about ten minutes or so.
- Once meat is cooked, and liquid has cooked off, set aside.
- In a stock pot bring water to a boil and cook potatoes.
- Boil until fork tender or about 20 minutes.
- Once they are done, drain liquid. Add butter directly to the potatoes in the pot. Add milk, and mash with a potato masher.
- Simultaneously, while cooking the mushroom and beef blend, start the corn.
After draining the excess liquid from the corn, layer it in a casserole dish.
- Then, add the drained meat and mushroom mixture.
- Lastly, smooth the potatoes over the top. You can add some paprika to the top for a smoky flavor.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. The potatoes will form a crust.
- Enjoy warm!