If you are all about the sweet and savory appetizer lifestyle, then this easy to make recipe is for YOU! These Cream Cheese Wontons are baked in the oven with a little oil and have a sweet & savory taste that is a real treat for your tastebuds. Serve them with a spicy chili sauce for the best taste! This post contains affiliate links.
Appetizers like crab rangoons are my favorite. I love to buy them, and I really enjoy making them. However, one of my kids hates crab so I don’t get to enjoy them as much as I’d like too. So I went back to the recipe drawing board to see how I could create a wonton without crab.
I have heard of cream cheese wontons, but I have never tasted them in real life. But, I think after my testing, I have come up with the perfect recipe for people who enjoy sweeter appetizers that are also made with more savory components. These are not a dessert wonton, but they are mighty tasty.
If you love sweet chili sauce, I must admit this Panda Express Chinese Sweet Chili Sauce is excellent. It is a delicious sweet and sour sauce that has a nice balance of red pepper for a spicy kick. It tastes good on fries too!
I love to dip these cream cheese wontons in it because it gives them an extra kick of awesome. Of course, you could also enjoy them alone.
To make 36 wontons you will need the following ingredients:
- 36 wonton wrappers (premade, thinly cut sheets of dough typically found near the produce aisle near the tofu)
- 8 ounces cream cheese ((chilled))
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- water to seal wrappers
How to make cream cheese wontons
Making these wontons is super simple. Just mix the cream cheese and few spices and sugar together. Be sure everything is combined well. It is okay to use cold cream cheese which reduces the cheese from leaking out of the wontons while baking.
I used a melon baller to scoop out a teaspoon for each. That amount worked perfectly for each individual wrapper.
To fold, your wontons, you could use the envelope method where you fold them into a triangle and then bring the edges in. Water will help to seal the edges.
You can also pinch all edges up as I did and use water to seal the edges. Simply dip your finger tips in a small dish of water to seal.
Brush one tablespoon of oil directly on your baking sheet and heat it in the preheated oven for 1-2 minutes. With oven mitts, carefully remove it from the oven. This allows the bottoms of the wontons to crisp up.
To bake, add wontons to the preheated, hot baking sheet. Brush each wonton with a little oil and then bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Some filling may leak out, but as long as you cook them until just golden brown they will be okay.
Best sauce for cream cheese wontons
As mentioned, I really love the Panda Express Chinese Sweet Chili Sauce because it is not too sweet, spicy, or salty. Some other brands are really salty, but this is not one of them. If you do not like sweet chili sauce, regular sweet and sour sauce is also a tasty option.
More wonton recipes
- Bacon Cream Cheese Wontons
- Tuna Fish Rangoons
- Buffalo Chicken Wontons
- Steak and Cheese Wontons
- Taco Wontons
Cream Cheese Wontons
- baking sheet
- Medium bowl
- Pastry brush
- 8 ounces cream cheese chilled
- 2 tbsps. granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp. onion powder
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. green onion chopped
- 36 wonton wrappers
- 2 tbsps. olive oil *can use vegetable oil too
- 1/4 cup water *to dip fingers in to seal wrappers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add cream cheese, spices, sugar, and diced green onion to a medium mixing bowl. Mix with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Fill wonton wrappers with one teaspoon of filling in the center of each.
- Dip fingers in water bowl to seal wontons either by pinching all edges up, or by sealing like a football, and then bringing the ends over like an envelope.
- Brush baking sheet with one tablespoon of oil and place it in the oven for one minute to heat up to crisp the bottoms of the wontons.
- Brush each wonton lightly with oil- a little goes a long way.
- Carefully remove heated baking tray from the oven, and add wontons flat side down to the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- These taste best when served with spicy chili sauce or sweet and sour.