Wonton Tacos are the best ever party food idea! They are easy to make and contain all the flavors you crave from a taco in a baked wonton cup, in a muffin tin.
Crispy wonton shells are baked to a perfection in the oven and then filled with taco seasoned ground beef, shrimp, or chicken. The addition of lettuce, onion, tomato, and olives with sour cream and cheese make them mouthwatering.
Why we love these Taco Wontons
These wonton cups can be served with warm meat and melted cheese, or with just warm meat and cool toppings. You can serve them buffet- style with a warmer for the meat and chilled toppings alongside for parties.
I like to serve these wonton tacos for dinner and let my kids spoon in the toppings they choose. These are perfect for picky eaters because you can add the toppings to small bowls and kids can choose which to add in.
How to make Wonton Tacos
These taco cups are so easy to make that they might even become a regular dinnertime staple. Fill them with chopped veggies or homemade guacamole or fresh salsa.
- Add wonton wrappers (2 layered in each muffin tin cup) and spray them with olive oil spray. Bake for 8 minutes at 350.
- Once cooled, remove them from the muffins tins and set aside.
- Cook your ground beef or protein topping.
- Prepare your veggie topping and sauces to add it.
- Serve at room temperature, or bake wonton tacos for an additional 2 minutes at 350 with shredded cheese and meat and then add toppings.
Get the Printable Wonton Tacos recipe below
How to make Wonton Taco Shells
Baking wonton wrappers is much healthier than frying them. They can bake up to a golden brown with the right technique. To get your cups to a golden brown perfection simply layer them in a muffin tin.
You want to place one in first and rotate the next to make a “flower”. By using two wrappers the cups become sturdier and thicker to hold fillings.
Use non stick olive oil spray (or brush it on) to lightly cover the wrappers. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. You can bake these a few hours ahead of time. They typically will not get soggy unless toppings are added.
Where to Buy Wonton Taco Shells
Have you ever went to the market only to struggle to find where the wonton wrappers are? I have and it is a pain so I figured I would let you all know they are located in the FRESH PRODUCE aisle typically right near the greens. They are refrigerated and will be near other Asian specialty products.
More recipes you will love
Print this recipe today
Wonton Taco Cups
- 48 wonton shells
- 1 tbsp olive oil spray
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 3/4 cup tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup black olives
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- Add ground beef & taco seasoning to a skillet, and brown beef.
- Drain excess fat if needed.
- Set beef aside and preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
- Add wonton wrappers (2 each) to muffin tins. You might have to do two rounds depending on your oven capacity.
- Spray with olive oil spray.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Repeat another batch if needed.
- Chop all your veggies and prepare toppings.
- Add meat to cups, cheese, and toppings-enjoy.