Cream of Mushroom Chicken is a delicious and tasty baked chicken recipe with sauteed mushrooms in a delicious cream sauce.
Baked comfort meals are some of our favorites during the chilly winter nights. I love the way they fill the home with delicious smells and how these warm meals make my family come together and smile.
This delicious and fairly easy recipe is a perfect example.
Cream of mushroom chicken casserole is easy to make if you know the right tips and tricks. Here’s what you need to know:
Using Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
The cream of mushroom base is Campbell’s® canned condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup. Since it’s condensed, it is richer and thicker than a traditional soup. If you were preparing this as a standalone soup, you would add one cup of water to one full can of soup.
However, for this recipe and many other casseroles or bakes, it is best to use the soup without additional liquid.
I add sour cream and chicken stock to the Campbell’s® Condensed Soup and mix it separately before pouring it over the chicken.
Brown the Chicken Before Baking
The chicken needs to be browned before baking.
Cut the chicken in half lengthwise to make them thinner. Then dredge them in flour and place them in a skillet with melted butter on med-high heat.
Cook each side for 2 minutes to create a seared crust. This helps keep the chicken moist while baking, gives it improved flavor, and helps to thicken the sauce.
I am not a fan of the “boiled chicken” taste and always prefer to brown my chicken before baking them in casseroles.
Sauté Mushrooms Before Baking
Mushrooms are one of my favorite casserole ingredients. They are so versatile, meaty, and take on any flavor with ease.
In the same skillet you seared the chicken in, add sliced mushrooms, a little bit more butter, and season with black pepper. Cook them for about 3 minutes to sauté them and make them more flavorful.
The creamy and rich base (sauce) for Cream of Mushroom Baked Chicken consists of one can of Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, 1 cup of sour cream, and 1/2 cup of chicken stock.
You’ll need to combine these ingredients in a large mixing bowl and add one envelope of onion soup mix to it. The onion soup mix adds a delicious savory flavor to the dish.
This sauce has the perfect amount of salt and flavor, so your chicken does not need any additional spices!
Best Cheese for this Recipe
Over the years, I have tried pretty much all types of cheese on my chicken casseroles. Through trial and error, I have learned that packaged shredded cheeses do not bake up that well. Some brands dry out fast, and others have little flavor.
Cream of Mushroom Chicken tastes best when topped with thinly sliced cheeses like Muenster or Monterey Jack. They bake up creamy, melty, and evenly. Plus, they have a mild flavor that pairs perfectly with the tender, moist chicken.
I like to serve Cream of Mushroom Chicken over buttered egg noodles. But you can choose your favorite side, or one of the suggestions below:
- Mashed potatoes
- White rice
- Spaghetti noodles
In the unlikely event you still have room in your belly, these desserts are a perfect finish to this savory dish:
Follow the recipe below to make our Baked Cream of Mushroom Chicken. This recipe serves 6, but can be adjusted to meet your needs.
Cheesy Baked Cream of Mushroom Chicken
- 3 lbs white meat chicken cutlets sliced thin
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tbsps butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 can Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces onion soup mix
- 6 ounces Muenster Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brown the Chicken
- Dredge chicken in flour.
- In a skillet on medium-high heat, add 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Add floured chicken and brown each side (2 minutes per side).
- Remove browned chicken and place it in a glass casserole dish.
Sauté the Mushrooms
- Add remaining tablespoon of butter to your skillet and sauté mushrooms for 3 minutes over medium heat until tender.
- Scatter mushrooms over the browned chicken.
Make the Sauce
- In a medium bowl, add sour cream, chicken stock, onion soup mix, and Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup. Mix thoroughy with a spoon.
Make the Casserole
- Spoon the cream sauce over chicken.
- Top the chicken with Muenster Cheese.
- Cover the casserole dish in foil and place it into the preheated oven on the center-rack.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered. After 30 minutes, remove the foil cover and bake an additional 5 minutes uncovered to slightly brown the cheese.
- Serve warm over buttered egg noodles or with your favorite side.
Recommended CheeseMuenster or Monterey Jack sliced cheese bake into a creamy and evenly melted topping and go perfectly with this recipe. Try to avoid pre-shredded cheeses because they contain anti-caking agents that prevent them from melting perfectly.
Suggested Side DishesThis recipe pairs well with the following sides:
- Garlic Bacon Sauteed Green Beans
- Tasty Salads
- Buttered Egg Noodles
- Mashed Potatoes
- White Rice