Coconut lovers rejoice! This Coconut Custard Pie recipe is so easy and delicious, you’ll want to savor every last bite! The perfect custard filling is loaded with shredded coconut that adds a beautiful texture and lively flavor to this classic dessert.
Homemade Egg Custard pie is one of my family’s favorite desserts. It’s one of the few things that all three of our children go crazy over (besides candy, of course!). After making classic custard pies for years, I decided it was time to give Coconut Custard Pie a shot, and I’m so glad I did! It came out AMAZING!
How To Make Coconut Custard Pie
I used a frozen store bought crust for this pie. It’s much faster and easier than making a pie crust from scratch. However, if you don’t feel like running to the store, you should check out my Classic Egg Custard Pie recipe, which includes an easy homemade lard crust.
Coconut Custard Filling
This Coconut Custard Pie is not hard to make, so don’t be intimidated! I wanted to preserve the classic custard flavor, but wanted shredded coconut for the texture and subtle flavor boost.
That’s why this recipe is similar to a classic custard pie, but with the addition of coconut.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Whole Milk
- Shredded Coconut
Does Coconut Custard Pie Have To Be Refrigerated?
In general, it’s a good idea to refrigerate homemade baked goods that contain eggs. The risk is pretty low for foodborne illness if your pie is cooked fully, but since there are so many variables within different kitchens (like the ambient temperatures within), we recommend you refrigerate your pie if you’re storing it overnight or longer.
Store bought custard pie is usually not refrigerated because it contains preservatives.
Can You Freeze Custard Pie?
Unfortunately, unlike most pies custard does not fair well when frozen. We have been there, done that. It actually separates the milk and eggs and gets watery and gross–don’t do it!
Coconut Custard Pie
- 1 refrigerated, deep dish large pie crust
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded, sweet coconut
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Add milk to a saucepan and scald – DO NOT BOIL!!
- Brush pie crust with egg white; set aside.
- In a bowl, mix eggs, sugar, extract, salt- slowly add in the scalded milk and whisk.
- Pour custard into the un-baked pie shell, sprinkle in coconut, and then add a pinch of nutmeg to the crust.
- Bake in the center rack for 30-35 mins. Pie will be jiggly and not have any egg bubbles in the center.
- Allow pie to sit for at least 1-hour at room temperature.
- Place in fridge, and the serve once center is firm to the touch. Enjoy!