A sweet and crunchy snack mix that features rice cereal, melted candy, mint chocolate chips, and a variety of festive chocolate and candy pieces. This Leprechaun Crunch is perfect as an extra special snack to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
Also known as Leprechaun Bait, this fun snack mix is peanut butter free and made with rice cereal coated in candy and powdered sugar. It is a fun recipe for the kids to help make and eat!
You might remember that we made Reindeer Chow this past holiday season. It was such a hit, but my kids thought the peanut butter & chocolate combo mixed with the butter was really rich. So, for our Valentine’s Day Cupid Crunch we opted for melted candy to coat the cereal pieces.
The melted candy gave the cereal a sweet crunch and allowed the powdered sugar to easily stick. While I prefer the peanut butter butter, and chocolate coating *see our Reindeer Chow recipe, this kid love this!
What is Leprechaun Crunch?
Leprechaun Crunch is the St. Patrick’s Day version of Muddy Buddies. It features Chex cereal pieces coated in white chocolate, or melted candy wafers. The cereal pieces are coated in the candy and then tossed with powdered sugar. Additional candies like Sixlets, mini marshmallows, and chocolate chips provide texture and flavor.
How to Make Leprechaun Crunch
This Leprechaun Crunch snack mix is super easy and takes less than 10 minutes to make. It is a no-bake snack idea that requires just a microwave unless you prefer to use a double boiler.
You simply coat the cereal with white chocolate or green melted candy wafers, toss in powdered sugar, and add other crunchy additions like b ite-sized candies.
How to Serve
I love to serve this in little cup-size portions for my kids snacks. However, you can also bag it up. It contains no peanuts so it is a safer lunchbox snack for my kids to eat at school.
You can portion it into snack bags, bag it up into St. Patrick’s Day goodie bags or make these little Leprechaun Belt Cups from Cutefetti to serve it at a St. Patrick’s Day party.
How to Store
This snack mix should NOT be stored in the fridge or freezer. The candy and chocolate will sweat and cause moisture which will make the powdered sugar taste wet.
- 12 ounces Wilton Lime Green Candy melts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 6 cups Rice Chex
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup Lucky Charms Marshmallows
- 1 cup mint chocolate chips morsels blend
- 1/2 cup Gold Sixlets
- 1/2 cup Green Sixlets
- 4 ounces Rainbow gummy candies Air Head Extremes Minis
- 2 tbsps St. Patrick's Day sprinkles
- Add candy melts to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Melt candy on 50% heat for 30 seconds at a time stirring in-between each.
- Place the Chex mix inside a large freezer bag.
- Pour the melted chocolate in. Mix around until all cereal pieces are coated.
- Add in the powdered sugar to coat each Chex piece.
- Empty coated Leprechaun Crunch onto a baking sheet.
- Add all the candies, marshmallows, and popcorn.
- Mix well with a spoon to combine.
- Store all extras in an air-tight container.
- This last for 10 days when at room temperature in an air-tight, sealed container.