A light and tangy salad loaded with vibrant, robust flavors. This easy to make salad features chickpeas, roasted red pepper, and olives and is a perfect summer side, or main meal.
If you’re looking for a light and healthy salad, this delicious Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is a great option! This salad is packed with healthy ingredients like chickpeas, roasted red pepper, red onion, grilled green olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, fresh mint, cilantro, and feta cheese. It’s perfect for a light lunch or as a side dish for a larger meal.
This salad is so easy to make and can be easily customized to your liking. If you don’t like feta cheese, you could swap it out for another type of cheese or leave it out altogether. You could also add in other vegetables such as bell peppers or Kalamata olives. This salad is also great because it can be made ahead of time and will last in the fridge for a few days.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Ingredients
Cucumber – I used a common cucumber, but you can use any type you love as long as they are chopped into bite-sized pieces.
Tomato – Grape tomatoes are what I used, but you can use chopped plum tomatoes, roma, garden tomatoes, cherry tomatoes or pretty much any variety you might have on hand.
Onion – Red onion adds a pretty color and flavor to this salad and is a must!
Herbs – Fresh cilantro, thyme, and a bit of mint do wonders for this salad. You can also use parsley or fresh basil if that is what you have at home.
Cheese – Feta cheese adds a salty balance to this salad which is appreciated. Goat cheese, or chopped cheddar, or mozzarella pearls are perfect.
Chickpeas – We used a canned variety we had in our pantry. These add a nice flavor and texture to the salad.
Peppers – While I had a can of roasted red peppers in my fridge, red, or green bell pepper seeded and chopped would make a nice addition.
Olives – I had grilled, jumbo green olives on hand but typically use pitted Kalamata olives for this recipe.
Oil – Good quality extra virgin olive oil is a must for this salad and is needed for the dressing.
Vinegar – You can use red or white vinegar, but I prefer the white champagne vinegar myself.
Lemon Juice – Add a bit more acid and fresh flavor for the salad.
Spices – Freshly cracked ground pepper, and garlic powder add a nice flavor to the dressing.
How to Make Chopped Chickpea Salad
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, garlic powder, and ground black pepper; set aside.
On a cutting board, slice your cherry tomatoes, and olives in half.
Dice the cucumber, red pepper, and red onion.
Open the chickpeas, rinse, and drain. Add them to a large bowl with the other prepared ingredients.
Chop the fresh herbs, and crumble the feta (if its in a block).
Add all the ingredients to a large bowl, and pour the dressing over them.
Using a large spoon, toss to combine, cover, and store in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes or longer to help the flavors meld.
How to Store
It’s easy to store this chickpea salad for later! Simply place the salad in an airtight container and refrigerate it for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to enjoy the salad again, simply remove it from the fridge, toss to combine and serve. Unfortunately, this salad cannot be frozen.
More Salads to Try this Summer
- Greek Cucumber Salad
- Feta Chicken Salad
- Creamy Ham & Cheese Pasta Salad
- Three Bean Salad
- Tuna Pasta Salad
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- cutting board
- Large Glass bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- can opener
- 15 ounces chickpeas drained, and rinsed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 5.3 ounces green olives * we used grilled green, and pitted olives. Can also use Kalamata olives.
- 12 ounces Roasted red peppers drained, and chopped
- 1 large cucumber seeded, and diced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro chopped *can also use parsley, or basil
- 1 tablespoon mint chopped *can be omitted
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled *can add more if you wish
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ⅓ cup White wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, garlic powder, and ground black pepper; set aside.
- On a cutting board, slice your cherry tomatoes, and olives in half. Dice the cucumber, red pepper, and red onion.
- Open the chickpeas, rinse, and drain. Add them to a large bowl with the other prepared ingredients.
- Chop the fresh herbs, and crumble the feta (if its in a block).
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl, and pour the dressing over them.
- Using a large spoon, toss to combine, cover, and store in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes or longer to help the flavors meld.