Grilled, cubed chicken is tossed with salty feta, fresh veggies, and a creamy dressing. Mixed together, this salad is delicious alone, in a sandwich, or on a bed of greens.
The Spring season is around the corner, and that means lighter meals will be in high-demand. This easy Feta Chicken Salad is perfect for a quick and easy lunch or dinner. The dressing is light, flavorful, and the feta cheese gives it a deliciously salty kick. It is a tasty, make-ahead meal with an enjoyable texture and desirable balance of flavor. Plus, it is not too expensive to whip up with leftover chicken.
A Delicious Grilled Chicken Salad
- This recipe uses grilled white meat chicken that is cubed. This makes it the perfect recipe for mass-batch grilled chicken.
- You can also use leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Make it early in the day so the flavors can meld & become enhanced.
- Perfect for meal planning.
- Low-carb friendly.
- Enjoy it on a bed of greens, on a toasted bagel, croissant, or eat alone with a fork
Ingredients in Feta Chicken Salad
Chicken: White meat chicken is grilled with salt & pepper until clear juices run free. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Vegetables: I used sweet yellow onion, red bell pepper, and celery. Make sure they are all diced into small pieces.
Dressing: This creamy dressing is made with mayonnaise, and sour cream. This provides a creamy flavor that tastes fresh and delicious with the other chopped ingredients.
How to Make Chicken Salad
Measure and prepare all your ingredients.
Allow grilled chicken to cool before cutting into bite-sized cubes.
Add chicken, diced veggies, spices, sour cream, and mayonnaise to a large mixing bowl.
Using a wooden spoon, mix thoroughly.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place the bowl in the refrigerator.
Allow the salad to chill for at least 2 hours. This salad tastes better the next day.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
You can swap the feta cheese for a low-fat variety or even gorgonzola if you’d prefer.
Red onion can be used instead of sweet onion.
Orange or yellow bell peppers can be used instead of red pepper. In this salad, green bell pepper tends to taste a little bitter since there is no sweet ingredients to balance the naturally bitter taste.
Nonfat Greek yogurt can be used instead of full-fat sour cream for a healthier recipe.
Storing Chicken Salad
This chicken salad lasts for up to 4 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. In fact, this salad tastes even better on the second day after the flavors have had ample time to meld.
Unfortunately, this salad does not freeze well. The texture of the dressing separates and becomes undesirable.
More Tasty Mayonnaise-Based Salads
Grilled Chicken Feta Salad
- cutting board
- measuring cup
- large bowl
- air-tight storage container
- 3 cups grilled, cubed white meat chicken
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper cored, de-seeded, diced
- ¼ cup sweet onion diced
- 6 ounces feta
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add chicken, diced veggies, spices, sour cream, and mayonnaise to a large mixing bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix thoroughly until all ingredients are creamy and coated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place the bowl in the refrigerator. Allow the salad to chill for at least 2 hours. This salad tastes better the next day.
- Serve salad on a bed of green, toasted bread, or enjoy alone.