Christmas Crack is a sweet candy-like snack made with saltine crackers, homemade toffee, chocolate, and festive toppings. In this recipe, I’ll show you how to make this delicious homemade snack that’s perfect for Christmas festivities!
How to Make Christmas Crack
Christmas crack is easy to make and only uses a few ingredients that you might even have on-hand! This is perfect for a Christmas party snack, or homemade gift option. Since our extended family loves this homemade toffee treat, we typically box it up and gift it.
- Saltine Crackers
- Brown Sugar
- Christmas sprinkles
Start by lining the bottom of a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. We used heavy duty foil and sprayed it with nonstick baking spray. This allows the hardened toffee to easily lift off the foil. It is crucial to spray the aluminum foil or else it will stick.
Once you have the sprayed foil line 55-60 saltine crackers on your pan. I used about 60 and I even halved some of them to completely fill the baking sheet. Set aside as you make the toffee on the stove top.
Add your two sticks of nonstick butter and one cup of light brown sugar to a small saucepan. Put your stove on medium-low heat about “4” on the knob. Using a wooden spoon, stir constantly until butter is melted.
Once butter is melted, set your stove timer for 3 minutes and constantly stir your toffee. It will begin to take on a caramel color and bubble. After 3 minutes, remove it from heat.
Pour toffee over the crackers, and use a rubber spatula to smooth it over. Bake toffee in a 325 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 9 minutes. Remove after 9 minutes.
Add chocolate chips of your choice on top of the hot toffee layer, and spread them until smooth over the toffee. I used 2 full cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips and one cup of white chocolate chips.
Add holiday sprinkles, and M&Ms and then place the whole sheet pan in the freezer for 15 minutes. If you have no freezer space, one hour in the refrigerator will work.
After your Christmas crack has hardened, use a knife to cut it or simply use your hands to crack it–hence the name! The toffee should lift away from the foil with ease since you sprayed it!
You can use either white chocolate or milk/semi/dark chocolate chips as the topping. You can microwave the chocolate until smooth and creamy (cooked and stirred in 30-second increments). Then, once it is creamy, simply smooth it over the toffee layer.
Always spray the foil to prevent sticking.
Store any leftover in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks for best taste.
One of the greatest things about Christmas Crack are the different ways it can be made. The number of variations are only limited to your imagination. Here are a few things you could try:
- Use white chocolate instead.
- Use peanuts or mini pretzels for a sweet & salty flavor
- Use peanut M&Ms
More Christmas Snacks to Try
- jelly roll pan
- rubber spatula
- aluminum foil
- nonstick baking spray
- 58 Saltine crackers
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup white chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup mini M&Ms
- 1 tbsp. Christmas sprinkles
- Line a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 jelly roll pan with heavy duty aluminum foil. Spray it generously with nonstick baking spray.
- Add saltine crackers to foil. I used almost 60 crackers which is a little more than a sleeve.
- In a small sauce pan, add light brown sugar and butter. Constantly stir mixture over medium-low heat (4 on the knob). Once butter is melted, set a timer and allow mixture to gently boil for 3 minutes. You will want to constantly stir it even when it is gently bubbling.
- Once mixture turns into thick toffee, spread it over the crackers. Place pan in a 325° Fahrenheit oven and bake for 9 minutes.
- After toffee is done baking, remove from the oven and place it on top of the stove. Sprinkle on 2 cups of chocolate chips and spread using a rubber spatula.
- Once chocolate is evenly spread, add 1 cup of white chocolate morsels evenly as well as the M&Ms, and holiday sprinkles.
- Add entire baking sheet to the freezer and freeze until hardened, about 15 minutes. If you have no room in the freezer, chill in the fridge for about 45 minutes.
- Once everything is hardened, crack the bars using a knife or your hands.