There’s something about creamy potato chip dip that just makes it irresistible. Whether you’re serving it at a party or enjoying it as a snack, this dip is always a hit. Ready in minutes, this loaded dip is perfect for any occasion. Plus, it’s easy to customize based on your preferences. So pull out your favorite chips and get ready to enjoy some delicious loaded dip.
Why I love this Potato Chip Dip
I love this Loaded Potato Chip Dip because it is perfect party food. It’s also easy to make, full of flavor (not overly salty), and can feed a crowd!
Baked potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes so this recipe is an ode to my favorite style of potato. It has all the classic flavors of loaded potatoes- bacon, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and green onion. It’s also great for any time you need an appetizer or side dish on hand. The only difficult part about this recipe is waiting for it to chill in the fridge before digging in!
Homemade Ranch Seasoning Spices
This dip is so delicious because it is not overly salty like prepackaged ranch dip. Below are the seasonings needed to make this dip. Please note, you will have extra leftovers so be sure to store them in an airtight spice jar or small zippered bag.
This blend makes just about a third of a cup. This recipe only requires 2 tablespoons of this mixture. Get the measurements in the recipe card below.
- Dried Dill
- Dried Parsley flakes
- Dried Onion flakes
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Dried chives (use fresh if you plan on enjoying this blend right away)
- Ground black pepper
If you wanted to make a better-tasting powdered ranch mixture that is comparable to the store-bought stuff, you would need 1/3 cup of powdered buttermilk. However, this recipe does not require buttermilk addition because it is cream-based.
How to Make Loaded Potato Chip Dip
Gather your ingredients.
Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, and two tablespoons of the ranch spice blend. Stir to combine.
Add in half of the cooked bacon, and shredded cheddar.
Chill covered for one hour (longer is better) for flavor enhancement.
Garnish with green onion. remaining bacon and cheddar to garnish.
Serve this creamy dip with your favorite chips.
Variations & Tips
Spices – You can make this dip with 2 tablespoons of store-bought, powdered ranch seasoning. I do not recommend the whole pouch because it will be too salty.
Dippers – This dip is not hard like some versions that contain cream cheese. There will be no broken chips with this dip! Any type of potato chip you prefer as well as carrots, bell pepper strips, celery, crackers, bagel chips, or mini rainbow peppers would be excellent with this dip.
Toppings – You can use any type of shredded cheese you prefer. I think cheddar best suits it, but pepper jack, Colby jack, or even swiss would be delicious!
Bacon– You can use bacon bits, cooked turkey bacon, or even vegetarian-based bacon in this.
Store all leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 48 hours. You cannot freeze this dip.
More Delicious Dip Recipes to Try Today
Creamy Loaded Potato Chip Dip
- large mixing bowl
- Measuring Cups & spoons
- cutting board
- 16 ounces sour cream full-fat variety
- ½ cup mayonnaise full-fat variety
- ½ cup bacon cooked until crisp, and chopped
- ½ cup cheddar shreds
- 2 tablespoons green onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons homemade ranch spice recipe below
Homemade Ranch Spice
- 2 tablespoons Dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons Dried dill
- 2 teaspoons Garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Dry onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- ⅓ cup Powdered buttermilk optional* – NOT required for this recipe
- Combine the dry ranch spice blend ingredients in a bowl.2 tablespoons Dried parsley flakes, 2 teaspoons Dried dill, 2 teaspoons Garlic powder, 2 teaspoons Onion powder, 2 teaspoons Dry onion flakes, 1 teaspoon Ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon Sea salt, ⅓ cup Powdered buttermilk
- In a large bowl, add the sour cream, mayonnaise, and two tablespoons of the ranch spice blend. Stir to combine.16 ounces sour cream, ½ cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons homemade ranch spice
- Mix in half of the cooked bacon, and shredded cheddar. Cover the mixture and chill it for one hour (longer is better) for flavor enhancement.½ cup bacon, ½ cup cheddar
- Once chilled, add green onion. remaining bacon and cheddar to garnish.½ cup bacon, 2 tablespoons green onion, ½ cup cheddar
- Serve this creamy dip with your favorite chips.