Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie
Do you or you family members love mint chocolate chip ice cream, or milkshakes? I know in this house I have three little ones who all look forward to our ice cream outings because it means yummy mint chocolate chip ice cream or a shake. They just love the green color, flecks of yummy dark chocolate, and of course the flavor. I admit, I enjoy it too but I do not love the artificial color so I made it my mission to make my kids a naturally green Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie.
The beauty of making smoothies is that you can use froze fruits or ice to achieve a thicker, icier texture. This can very well mimick a milk shake or even soft serve ice cream. For this Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie I am sharing today I made it thinner for myself. However, it is super easy to thicken it up with a frozen banana.
If you love that all too popular “green, high-calorie shake” from a top fast food joint, you will appreciate this healthier swap. It is actually make with pure mint extract (just a touch), spinach, a ripe banana, and almond milk (or regular cow’s milk). Wondering how it would taste with coconut milk though?
Making this Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie is as easy as adding all the elements to your blender, and finishing it off with a touch of chocolate. I used some extra dark chocolate a some semi-sweet chocolate chips. You could even blend a small quantity of dark chocolate or cacao to make this a mega treat. Today, I added a few chips to the bottom of the cup for that yummy last sip, and shaved a little dark chocolate over the top. As long as you don’t go overboard with the chocolate and use a darker variety this will remain healthier vs typical mint chocolate chip milkshakes.
Here is how to make this Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie
- 1 large, overripe banana *use frozen if you desire a thicker, icier smoothie
- ½ cup of baby spinach *use frozen if you desire a thicker, icier smoothie
- 1 square of 70% or higher dark chocolate or ½ tablespoon of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ tsp of Pure mint extract
- 1 cup of almond milk
- Add all ingredients to your blender, and blend until thick, and creamy
- Reserve a few chocolate chips for the last sip as a treat- you can also shave a little dark chocolate or sprinkle some cacoa over the top.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy *makes one 12 ounce glass
This Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie is a guilt-free way to enjoy St. Patrick’s Day or anytime of the year where you want a less fattening, healthier smoothie.
Pin this for later: