Portuguese Shrimp Mozambique is a favorite Portuguese dinner staple recipe. Ready in less than 30 minutes, it is typically served over white rice or french fries.
When it is game day, food has always played a huge part in the enjoyment. My dad used to make the BEST Shrimp Mozambique when we were little.
Today I wanted to share this family traditional recipe with you all. It is made with fairly common ingredients. The key ingredient to this dish is beer.
My father always loved a “cold one” as he would refer to beer. My husband Jared also loves his beer and looks forward to enjoying a few during the weekends.
Shrimp Mozambique is one of Jared’s favorite meals – not only does it go great with beer, it’s also made with it!
As you can see in the image above, the ingredients to Shrimp Mozambique are few but all pack a flavorful punch!
We topped our Shrimp Mozambique onto rice, but you can also use french fries. Either starch based side soaks up the juices nicely!
Portuguese Shrimp Mozambique Ingredients
- 2 lbs of shrimp (your favorite size)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 stick so unsalted butter
- 8 ounces of beer or white wine
- fresh parsley
- 1 lemon wedge
- 2 tablespoons of hot pepper sauce (we like Frank’s)
- Rice or French fries
This recipe is fairly quick and easy. It pairs nicely with some Portuguese wine or beer.
Tip for Working with Frozen Shrimp
When working with frozen shrimp that may have been defrosted, it will become icy and wet. For best flavor (to not water down your dish) pat shrimp with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
But wait, no Portuguese dinner would be complete without a deliciously satisfying desert.
Shrimp Mozambique is no exception!
To get the full Portuguese food experience, you need to try this amazing Portuguese Queijadas de Leite Recipe!
Portuguese Shrimp Mozambique is one of them succulent recipes where you want to actually suck all the juices out from the shrimp before un-pealing them.
This is best served with rice, french fries, or even mashed potatoes.
Also, If you like this Shrimp Mozambique recipe, be sure to check out my delicious Chicken Mozambique Recipe on Savvy Saving Couple.
Portuguese Shrimp Mozambique Recipe with Rice
- 31-40 count bag of Medium or Large Shrimp
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 4 packs Sazon Goya Spice little orange box found in ethnic food section
- 8 oz white wine or beer
- fresh parsley optional
- 1 lemon wedge
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 cups rice or french fries
- Pat-dry your shrimp to remove excess moisture.
- In a large stock pan place melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Once the butter is melted place the chopped garlic in to saute until fragrant and lightly golden brown.
- Place the shrimp in the pan with the sauteed garlic, and then add the 8oz of beer, the Goya seasoning, lemon juice, pepper sauce, and parsley. Lower heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Shrimp will be translucent and curl up a bit.
- This shrimp tastes better the longer it marinades, but you do not want to overcook it. To reheat, simply microwave, or simmer until it starts to boil.
Tried this recipe? Please share below to let us know what you think!