Pumpkin Pie From Scratch is a delicious, classic recipe for pumpkin pies for the holidays! Learn how to make your own pie dough and pumpkin pie filling.
Last week, I shared a recipe on my lifestyle blog, Savvy Saving Couple for The Best Shortcut Pumpkin Pie Recipe! It is a very easy recipe that uses canned pumpkin and store bought crust.
For this pumpkin pie recipe, I wanted to focus on how you can roast a whole pumpkin in the oven and process the meat into pureed pumpkin which can be used in muffins, soups, and pies.
I love this time of year because Halloween has passed and Christmas is already next month! I am so excited for Christmas this year and cannot wait to decorate. It is funny how I have the tendency to go from Halloween—> Christmas with little in-between.
I do love Thanksgiving, but it will be bittersweet without my dad this year. He always loved Thanksgiving because it was a time that all his family could be together.
Anyhow, life goes on and I want to make sure my kids have all the delicious memories of Thanksgiving just as I have.
That is why I love making desserts like this Pumpkin Pie from Scratch so that they can maybe one day make them for their kids and so on. My girls have such a love for cooking so I think they might follow in my domesticated footsteps.
Making pumpkin pie from scratch is not that easy, and it really time consuming. However, you reap the benefits of a healthier pie that is more custardy verses a pumpkin pie made from canned pumpkin.
I don’t know about you, but canned pumpkin has a ton of graininess in it which can be unappealing. I was feeling ambitious and wanted to make my own pies from real sugar pumpkins.
How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Pie Filling from Scratch
After roasted a whole sugar pumpkin I scooped out the seeds to roast again, the flesh for muffins and pie, and I used the skin for my composter.
Basically, I did not waste any of the pumpkin. Find the complete DIY on how to roast a whole pumpkin here, on our blog. That is the very first step in making your own pumpkin pie filling from scratch.
After roasting the flesh and removing the skin/seeds, you will want to puree the pumpkin flesh until it is mashed potatoes consistency. See the pic below for reference.
Once you have done that, check out the additional homemade pumpkin pie filling ingredients you will need below!
Pumpkin Pie Filling Recipe (from Scratch)
- 2 cups of FRESH pumpkin puree (cooled)
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 2 eggs & 1 egg yolk
Add all the above ingredients to a large mixing bowl and combine. Place filling in the fridge until crust is ready.
Homemade Pie Crust Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoons of white sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 7 tablespoons of ice water
How to Make Homemade Pie Crust
In a large mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients for the pie crust. Slowly add in the shortening and butter and cut it into the mixture using a pastry cutter.
Once dough is well mixed (will not be runny) form it into a two equal balls (makes two crusts).
Place in fridge for an hour or until chilled, and then roll one ball into a large circle to form the pie crust. Repeat for the next pie. You should have two pie shells for your pumpkin pies.
Crimp edges of each pie crust with your thumbs or a pie crust crimper.
Once your pie crusts are ready to go you can add your pumpkin pie filling.
Pour mixture into the crust and then cover the pie edges with a pie shield.
If you do not have a pie shield, you can cut out an aluminum foil square the size of your pie.
Then, gently crease it down the middle and cut out the “pie” filling circle. The “cut out foil” square is what you crimp around your raw pie crust edges. This prevents them from browning before the filling is fully cooked.
How to Bake a Pumpkin Pie
After adding your pie shields to each pie, bake your pumpkin pie for 15 minutes at 425 degree f.
Then, reduce the heat and bake your pies for 35-40 mins.
Allow pies to fully cool for 4 hours before eating them. This allows them to firm up.
Pumpkin Pie from Scratch
- 9" pie dishes
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree cooled
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. white sugar
- 6 tbsps. unsalted butter
- 6 tbsps. shortening
- 7 tbsps. ice water
Real pumpkin pie filling
- In a large bowl, add all pie filling ingredients to a large mixing bowl and combine. Place filling in the fridge until crust is ready.
- In a stand mixer, or large bowl, add all the dry ingredients for the pie crust, and whisk with whisk attachment.
- Remove whisk attachment, and swap for paddle attachment, (or use a pastry cutter). Slowly add in the shortening and butter. You dough will begin to form.
- Remove dough ball from the mixer, and hand form it into two discs. Cover them with plastic wrap and place them in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Once chilled, roll out dough into two large circles. Press dough into 2 9" pie plates and crimp edges.
- Add equal amounts of pie filling to each pie crust shell.
- Add a pie shield around each crust to prevent over-browning. If you do not have a pie shield, you can cut out an aluminum foil square the size of your pie. Then, cut out the middle to form a large rectangle with a large circle. Gently cover the edges with the outer most foil. If you do not have a pie shield, you can cut out an aluminum foil square the size of your pie.
- After adding your pie shields to each pie, bake your pumpkin pie for 15 minutes at 425° Fahrenheit.
- After 15 minutes, reduce the heat to 350° f. and bake your pies for 35-40 mins.
- Allow pies to cool on top of the stove for at least 4 hours. This will help them to firm up.
- Store cooled pies in the fridge for up to 5 days when covered tightly.