These rich, decadent, fudge-like brownies are dense and delicious! You would never know they were flourless and made from canned black beans!
Black Bean Brownies are a delicious and healthy twist on traditional brownies. Baked with black beans instead of flour, these brownies are grain-free and packed with fiber and protein. No one will suspect there are black beans in the brownie mixture when they take their first bite! The rich, chocolatey flavor is so indulgent that it’s hard to believe these brownies are actually good for you. Enjoy them as is or top them with some vegan ice cream for an extra special treat.
They’re also perfect for those on a gluten-free diet or wanting to reduce their sugar intake. Plus, they’re so easy to make and can be ready in no time at all – just blitz everything together in a blender, pour into your baking pan, and bake! Enjoy them as part of breakfast, brunch, or dessert, and feel like you’re indulging while still eating something nutritious. If you’re looking for a brownie recipe you can feel good about eating, these Flourless Black Bean Brownies are a perfect choice.
Black Bean Brownies Ingredients
Creating brownies without flour is easier than you might think! Our Black Bean Brownies are made with simple ingredients like black beans, cocoa powder, sugar, eggs, and vegetable oil–you might even have all these pantry staples already! With these key ingredients, the brownies turn out moist and delicious. Plus, they’re gluten-free and high in protein.
Black Beans – Since canned beans are still relatively inexpensive, we opt for organic when possible. Just be sure that you thoroughly rinse and strain your beans before using them.
Sugar – Granulated sugar adds just enough sweetness to these brownies. However, you can add honey if you prefer a more wholesome sweetener.
For more flavor, salt balances the sweetness, vanilla extract adds a warm flavor, and chocolate morsels add more flavor and texture.
Cacao powder adds the signature brownie color and flavor. I used a premium variety of cacao from Ghirardelli which is worth the price tag for flavor.
The Eggs and baking powder help these brownies to puff up.
How to Make Black Bean Brownies
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8-inch baking pan or line it with parchment paper.
2. Drain and rinse the black beans in a strainer. Put the beans in a food processor and process until they are nearly smooth.
3. Add cocoa powder, salt, sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and baking powder to the black bean mixture and blend until it’s completely combined.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Pour brownie batter into the 8×8 prepared pan, and sprinkle a little more chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until brownies are set in the center.
5. Let brownies cool before cutting them into squares and serving. Enjoy!
Black bean brownies are an indulgent treat that you can feel good about eating—so get creative and try out different variations of this recipe!
- Chocolate Chips – Dark chocolate, white, semi-sweet, peanut butter, mint, or even butterscotch would be tasty.
- Coconut Flakes – sweetened or unsweetened would be nice for flavor and texture.
- Chopped nuts – pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc.
- Sweetener – Swap the sugar for stevia or honey.
So don’t deny yourself the sweet treat of brownies — just switch up your ingredients and you can have a healthier alternative that still tastes great! Give black bean brownies a try today. You won’t regret it!
P.S. I served these to my children and they had NO IDEA I used beans! They thought I just made super rich, dark chocolate brownies! Such a win/win!
More Brownie Recipes to Try Today!
- Pumpkin Brownies
- Peanut Butter Marshmallow Brownies
- Black Bean Avocado Brownies
- Reese’s Pieces Brownies
- Kitchen Sink Brownies
Rich & Fudgey Black Bean Brownies
- oven adjusted to the center rack position
- 1 9 x 9 baking pan I used a glass pan lined with parchment paper
- food processor
- rubber spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 15 ounces organic black beans rinsed & drained
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs large
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder unsweetened, high quality
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 9×9-inch baking pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the black beans in a strainer. Put the beans in a food processor and process until they are nearly smooth.
- Add cocoa powder, salt, extract, sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and baking powder to the black bean mixture and blend until it’s completely combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour brownie batter into the prepared pan, and sprinkle a little more chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until brownies are set in the center.
- Let brownies cool before cutting into squares and serving. Enjoy!