Healthier Flourless Black Bean Avocado Brownies
A soft & fudgey textured homemade brownie that is lightened up & jam-packed with nutrients.
Avocados are one of my favorite healthy fats that are trending these days. They are about a $1 each and can provide a healthy breakfast, lunch, or snack! Their creamy goodness can even be used in baked goods like these Avocado Banana Muffins, or these Flourless Black Bean Avocado Brownies.
So many people I know hate avocados. They think they are tasteless and mushy. I admit, I had never tried avocado until the age of 25. My mom just never bought them, and in turn I never did. One day, I tried guacamole and was instantly hooked! I couldn’t wait to buy some avocados and make my own at home.
Avocados are so nutrient filled that they can even be used in beauty remedies like face and hair masks. As someone who considers herself to be pretty healthy, I love that I can sneak avocados into my picky kids meals and in this case, baked goods.
We love brownies so much, but who wants to load up on sugar and carbs these days. I admit, I was never as cautious about what I ate until I had kids. Now, as a mom to three my mission is ot load them up on goodies that will feed their little bodies and help them thrive.
Years ago, I had a friend who introduced me to black bean brownies. They were so good, fudgey, and very similar to conventional fudge brownies. this morning I surveyed the fridge and noticed I had a half of an avocado to use so Flourless Black Bean Avocado Brownies it was. I have made these in the past for my then gluten-free daughter so I knew the recipe was a keeper.
Get the printable recipe for these Flourless Black Bean Avocado Brownies below!
Flourless Black Bean Avocado Brownies
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans drained
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 squares of semi-sweet baking chocolate chopped
- Preheat oven to 375
- Line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper
- In a blender, blend all the above ingredients until creamy- batter will be thick but moist
- Fill pan up and then top with baking chocolate chunks
- Bake for 30-35 mins or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
A few things about this recipe to keep in mind are:
- I have not tried it with any other fruits/oils/flours *stick to this recipe if you want these brownies in return
- Yes, you can taste a hint of avocado but not the beans
- These brownies are semi-sweet and certainly fudgey in texture
- They are filling
- I recommend you allow them to cool for at least an hour before cutting