A thick, creamy, and tasty ice cream that can be made either no-churn style or in an ice cream maker. The end result is a rich and flavorful ricotta ice cream that tastes similar to that of cannoli filling.
This post is sponsored by The National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association (NFRA). All opinions are my own. For more inspiration during #JuneDairyMonth, be sure to check out delicious ideas from NFRA at EasyHomeMeals.com #JDM2023
Ricotta Ice Cream is a delicious and versatile frozen dessert that can be made with just a few simple ingredients. It is made with Galbani® Part Skim Ricotta Cheese, heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, salt, vanilla and almond extract. I used Galbani® Part Skim Ricotta Cheese, but I’ve also used Galbani® Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese for the ice cream.
Ricotta cheese gives the ice cream a creamy and smooth texture, while the heavy cream adds richness and flavor. The milk sweetens the ice cream, and the extracts gives it a warm almond flavor.
My kids are obsessed with cannoli, so when I made this protein-rich ice cream, they were skeptical at first. But after one bite, they were hooked! They said it tasted just like frozen cannoli filling, and they couldn’t get enough.
Since I recently made ice cream, my maker was prepped and ready in the freezer, so I used that to make this batch, but again, it is not required. Really, you just need to whisk the ingredients, pour them into a container and freeze it for 4-6 hours!
Ricotta Ice Cream Ingredients
- Ricotta Cheese – Galbani® Part Skim Ricotta has a smooth and creamy texture with a naturally sweet dairy taste. It is made in USA and happens to be the #1 ricotta cheese brand in the USA!
- Heavy Cream – A thick, rich cream that is made from the cream that rises to the top of milk. It has a high fat content, which gives it a rich and creamy flavor. In this recipe, the heavy cream helps to give the ice cream a rich and creamy texture.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – A thick, sweet milk that has been cooked down with sugar. It has a deep, rich flavor and a smooth, creamy texture. In this recipe, the sweetened condensed milk helps to sweeten the ice cream and gives it a smooth and creamy texture.
- Almond Extract – Almond extract is a flavoring that is made from almonds. It has a strong, almond flavor. In this recipe, the almond extract adds a delicious almond flavor to the ice cream.
- Vanilla Extract – Vanilla extract is a flavoring made from vanilla beans. In this recipe it adds flavor and warmth to the ice cream.
- Salt – A seasoning that is used to add flavor and balance to food. In this recipe, the salt helps to balance out the sweetness of the ice cream.
How to Make Ricotta Ice Cream
In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, almond extract, vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk until smooth.
Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Additionally, you can pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze for 4-6 hours until desired consistency is achieved.
Once the ice cream is frozen, scoop it into bowls/cones and enjoy!
Ricotta Ice Cream Tips (For Best Results)
- Don’t overmix the ingredients, or the ice cream will become too icy.
- Use Galbani® Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese for an even creamier texture.
- To make a chocolate ice cream, add 1/2 cup of melted chocolate.
- Freeze the ice cream for at least 4 hours, or overnight, before serving.
- Serve the ice cream immediately after scooping, or it will start to melt.
- To make a flavored ice cream, add 1/2 cup of your favorite extract, such as almond, hazelnut, or pistachio.
- To make a fruit-flavored ice cream, add 1/2 cup of pureed fruit, such as raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries.
- The ice cream can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
- When serving, let the ice cream sit at room temperature for a few minutes before scooping. This will help it soften and make it easier to scoop.
Fresh Ricotta Ice Cream
- freezer-safe storage container
- large bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 15 ounces Galbani® Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 15 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, heavy cream, salt, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and almond extract. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and prepare according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- If preparing it as no-churn style, pour the batter into a freezer-safe container and freeze for 4-6 hours. If frozen solid, allow it to thaw for 5 minutes before scooping.