In this post, we’ll show you how to make S’mores Berry Skillet Dip. This super simple dessert is absolutely perfect for the oven or even the grill! Made in a cast iron skillet, this once traditional snack is turned into an epic treat with blueberries and strawberries. Just one dip inside with a graham cracker and you’ll be in foodie heaven!
If you love the taste of S’mores, this recipe is one you cannot miss out on this summer! It is a patriotic ode to the simple things in life. While it can be a little messy–what s’more is not? I love the melted chocolate, toasty marshmallow and the way the warm berries taste with this flavor perfection.
Before starting this recipe, you’ll want to verify that you have the following ingredients:
- Strawberries – You can absolutely use fresh or frozen berries, but I love the way frozen strawberries cook up in the oven.
- Blueberries– I used fresh because I am not a fan of cooked frozen blueberries unless they are in blueberry muffins. Of course, you can use either.
- Chocolate – To get different flavor dimensions, I used both Hershey Bars and dark chocolate semi-sweet morsels. I think it help to cut the sweetness a wee bit!
- Marshmallows – I used Stuffed Puffs because I love that they have a fun chocolaty center. They bake up nicely too and will fluff up.
- Butter – This is a must to grease a cast iron skillet to ensure your ingredients do not stick.
Equipment and Supplies Needed
We used the following equipment and supplies to make this recipe. Items that are optional or can be substituted will be noted.
- Large cast iron skillet – I used a large, handled cast iron skillet. These are oven-safe. You cannot just put any frying pan in the oven so be sure to do this only with cast iron.
- Oven -adjusted to the top rack to get that nice, toasty top. If you keep your rack on the center rack it will just take a bit longer to get the toasty look.
This recipe is easy to make if you know the right tips and tricks! Here are my tips for ensuring your S’mores Berry Skillet Dip comes out perfectly.
Grease the Pan
While cast iron heats up beautifully and holds the heat in a dish, it can also be hard to clean. The last thing you want is a ton of sticky, baked on marshmallow inside. To make clean up a breeze, generously “grease” the skillet with spreadable, or melted butter. Be sure to coat all inner surfaces.
If you do not have a cast iron skillet, you can use a Pyrex or stone bakeware. I feel like the cast iron keeps the dip warm for at least 30 minutes, and unfortunately other glassware will probably not do as good of a job. However, if you are eating this right out of the oven, it will work- just be careful because the berries hold heat well!
We used Stuffed Puffs for our S’mores dessert, but you can use any kind you like. Jumbo, flat, mini–they will all work and do what they are supposed to. However, I feel like the type I used are just yummier. I needed TWO Stuffed Puff bags to make this large skillet. One large back of traditional marshmallows will be fine.
I baked my stuffed puffs at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes before broiling them for the last minute to get that even brown, toasty look.
We ate out berry smores with graham crackers straight from the skillet. However, you can add this melted goodness to a bowl for cleaner serving. You can also serve this over ice cream for a super decadent, incredible experience. If you let this sit in the oven, the berries with create lots of juices so I do recommend eating it as soon as you are able to safely bite into it.
If you want to store your S’mores Berry Skillet Dip in the refrigerator, simply add any leftovers to an airtight container. I must admit this does not store well at all and will not have the same consistency as fresh out of the oven. However, heated leftovers would be delicious when serving over whipped topping or ice cream–it just will not be as pretty and fun as the first experience.
More S’mores Desserts
Follow the recipe below to make S’mores Berry Skillet Dip Dessert! This recipe makes 8 SERVINGS, but you can adjust the recipe card for other serving sizes.
Epic S’mores Berry Skillet Dip
- Large cast iron pan
- Oven (adjusted to the top rack)
- 12 Hershey's Fun Size Bars or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Double if you are not also use morsels.
- 1 cup dark chocolate morsels
- 1 cup strawberries fresh or frozen, hulled
- 1 cup blueberries
- 17.2 ounces Stuffed Puffs 2 bags
- 2 tablespoons butter to grease the pan
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a large cast iron skillet generously with butter.
- Line the bottom of the greased pan with chocolate bars and morsels.
- Line the pan with marshmallows making a large and then smaller circle design. Fill in the empty spaces with blueberries and strawberries.
- Bake for 14 minutes finishing off with a 1 minute broil time to toast the marshmallows.
- Serve warm with graham crackers, or eat with a spoon.