Easy Cheesy Beef, Onion, & Potato Puff Pastry Pockets are a savory and cheesy handheld meal made with puff pastry, ground beef, onion, potato, and cheddar cheese. This post is sponsored by Laura’s Lean. All views expressed are that of our own.
These easy, cheesy, beef, onion, and potato puff pastry pockets are the perfect quick and easy meal. Similar to English Pasties, these are made with just a few simple ingredients, and are packed with flavor. The puff pastry is flaky and buttery, while the filling is savory and cheesy. These pockets are perfect for a weeknight meal or a party appetizer.
My husband who is of English descent turned me onto beef pasties with vegetables when we were younger. Typically, they feature a flaky, buttery, crust that is similar to a savory pie crust. My recipe twist on pasties was to use puff pastry and add cheese–typically, pasties do not have cheese. Since I won’t be visiting England anytime soon, I enjoyed every bite of these and thought about planning a future trip.
Beef Puff Pastry Pocket Ingredients
- Salted butter – The salted butter adds flavor and helps to keep the pastry from becoming dry.
- Vidalia onion – The Vidalia onion adds sweetness and moisture to the filling.
- White potatoes – The white potatoes add starch and body to the filling.
- Ground Beef – The Laura’s Lean 96% Lean/4% Fat Ground Beef adds protein and flavor to the filling. We love using Laura’s Lean because it is high in protein, and lower in fat and calories. It is also the #1 natural beef brand in the country! We love that it doesn’t contain added hormones as well.
- Oregano – The oregano adds flavor and aroma to the filling.
- Onion powder – The onion powder adds onion flavor to the filling without having to use fresh onions.
- Black pepper – The black pepper adds flavor and heat to the filling.
- Kosher salt – The kosher salt adds flavor and helps to balance the other flavors in the filling.
- Garlic powder – The garlic powder adds garlic flavor to the filling without having to use fresh garlic.
- Shredded cheese – The shredded cheese adds richness and flavor to the filling.
- Puff pastry – The puff pastry provides a flaky, buttery crust for the filling.
- Egg wash – The egg wash helps to create a golden-brown crust and to seal in the moisture.
How to Make These
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
In a large skillet, cook butter, onions, and potatoes until softened. Add salt and pepper.
Add ground beef and spices and cook until browned.
Unroll puff pastry and cut into 4 rectangles.
Spread beef mixture over puff pastry and sprinkle with cheese.
Fold puff pastry in half and crimp edges to seal.
Brush with egg wash and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve warm and enjoy!
Key Recipe Tips
- When browning the Laura’s Lean 96% Lean/4% Fat Ground Beef, be sure to break it up into small pieces so that it cooks evenly.
- If the vegetables are starting to brown before the beef is cooked through, add a tablespoon of water to the skillet and cover it. This will help to steam the vegetables and prevent them from burning.
- If you’re not sure how much filling to put in each pocket, start with about 2 tablespoons. You can always add more if you like.
- When brushing the tops of the pockets with beaten egg, be sure to get into all the nooks and crannies. This will help to create a golden-brown crust.
- Leftover pockets can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This will help to keep the pockets fresh and flavorful.
- To reheat, thaw the pockets overnight in the refrigerator and then bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through. This will help to restore the pockets to their original texture and flavor.
More Laura’s Lean Recipes to Try Today
Easy Cheesy Beef, Onion, & Potato Puff Pastry Pockets
- oven adjusted to center rack position
- parchment paper
- Large Baking Sheet
- pastry cutter
- large skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 tablespoons salted butter *can use olive oil if you choose
- ⅓ cup Vidalia onion chopped
- ½ cup white potatoes cooked & cubed
- 16 ounces Laura's Lean 96% Lean/4% Fat Ground Beef
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon black ground pepper
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup shredded cheese
- 17.3 ounces refrigerated puff pastry thawed
- 1 medium egg +1 teaspoon water, mixed for egg wash
- In a large skillet, add the butter, onions, potatoes. Season with salt and pepper; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef and remaining spices and cook until browned.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll the puff pastry to a 12×10-inch rectangle.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the rectangle into 4 smaller rectangles.
- Spread the beef mixture evenly over the puff pastry.
- Sprinkle on cheese.
- Add egg wash to the inside edges of the pastry to form a seal.
- Add top layer of pastry and crimp edges.
- Brush pastry with egg wash and repeat until all the pastries are ready to bake.
- Add pockets to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.
- Serve warm & enjoy!