A buttery, golden-brown oat topping is spread over sweet cherries and baked until a bubbly perfection. This easy dessert comes together in 30 minutes and tastes so decadent with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Do you love a good cherry crisp recipe? This one is definitely a classic and always a hit with family and friends. The best part is that it’s super easy (uses canned cherries), and is similar to our Apple, Pear Cranberry, or Pineapple Crisp recipes. You only need a few simple ingredients, and in no time at all, you’ll have a delicious dessert that everyone will love. So what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try today!
How to Make this Cherry Crisp
Gather all your supplies, and ingredients. Spray the baking dish with nonstick spray, and preheat the oven to 350°F.
Open canned cherry filling, and spread the cherries onto the bottom of the baking dish.
Scatter mixture over the top of the cherry filling.
Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. The cherries will bubble up and the topping will be golden brown and slightly firm.
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.
How to Store this Crisp
If you have any leftovers, store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To warm, place a portion in the microwave and heat until warmed.
Want to freeze this? Since it just uses canned cherry pie filling, I suggest simply freezing the crisp topping, unbaked. To do this, assemble crisp topping, and freeze in an airtight bag for up to 3 months. Thaw topping in the refrigerator overnight before adding to the cherries.
Cherry Desserts to Try Today
- Red Velvet Cherry Dump Cake
- Maraschino Cherry Cookies
- Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- Cherry Hand Pies
- Cherry Pie Poppers
Classic Cherry Crisp Recipe
- 8 x 8 baker
- rubber spatula
- oven adjusted to center rack position
- medium mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- cutting board & knife
- 42 ounces can of cherry pie filling two 21 ounce cans
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats or quick cooking oats
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter cubed
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 8 dish with nonstick spray.
- Open canned cherry filling, and spread the cherries onto the bottom of the baking dish.42 ounces can of cherry pie filling
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and butter cubes. Using clean, or gloved hands, mix the topping together until no longer crumbly.½ cup old-fashioned oats, ¾ cup light brown sugar, ½ cup all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ cup unsalted butter
- Scatter mixture over the top of the cherry filling.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. The cherries will bubble up and the topping will be golden brown and slightly firm.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.