Looking for a fresh dinner idea to use up some summer squash or zucchini? These Grilled Zucchini Boats are jam-packed with fresh flavors and can be customized to what you prefer. Get the cooking tips you need to make the best stuffed zucchini!
I don’t know about you, but I love to grill so much! There is just something so empowering to be able to grill just about any food outdoors. For years, I shied away from using the grill and depended on my husband to do the outdoor cooking.
Now, after some practice (and a new grill), I can confidently grill everything from chicken to veggies. Every year, we grow a ton of zucchini in our garden and end up having more than we can use.
I used to just grill my zucchini or turn it into bread, but in the past year’s time, I have been mixing things up with various stuffed zucchini boat recipes.
Today’s recipe is a lighter version of a favorite that features three food swaps. Grilled Zucchini Boats with Chicken & Veggies is a lighter meal idea that is perfect for the warmer weather.
Zucchinis are hollowed out, grilled, and then stuffed with a chicken and veggies mixture. Topped with a low-fat Mexican cheese blend, this recipe is made better-for-you with simple recipe swaps.
I also used the corn oil to saute my chicken and veggies, but you can use the oil you prefer.
Why we Prefer Mazola Corn Oil When Grilling
Did you know that Mazola Corn Oil is the perfect oil to use when grilling? It is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy choice for your family.
You can use it when marinating, sautéing, grilling or even baking! It has a neutral taste, which means it will not overpower your foods. Mazola Corn Oil also has a smoke point higher than most cooking oils at 450°F and performs well in a variety of cooking applications.
Many cooking oils (like butter) smoke/burn faster and it can affect the nutritional value and flavor of your foods.
How to Make Grilled Zucchini Boats with Chicken & Veggies
Making grilled zucchini boats is a lot easier than you think! By using common ingredients like grilled chicken breast and easy-to-find veggies like bell peppers, you can have a better-for-you meal on the table sooner than you think!
We mass batch grill chicken breast once per week, so I had already cooked breast on-hand. In fact, this recipe only uses 3/4 cup of cubed chicken breast! That means it is perfect for using leftover grilled chicken!
Below are the other lighter ingredients I used for this grilled dish.
- 1/3 cup diced red & green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons Mazola Corn Oil
- 1/3 cup shredded fat-free Mexican cheese
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 3/4 cup diced grilled chicken
- 2 medium-sized zucchini
- Salt & pepper
Tips for Hollowing Out Zucchini
Wash & dry your zucchini. Then, set out a cutting board so you can cut them down the middle evenly. Using an ice cream scoop (metal works best), gently hollow out the seeds and softer flesh.
How to Grill Zucchini Boats
Using a pastry brush, oil all surfaces of the zucchini. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill over medium heat for 5-7 minutes (400 degrees F). Once you are done grilling them, stuff with sautéed chicken and veggies. Top with the fat-free cheese, and then return to the grill and cook for another 5 minutes.
Grilled Zucchini Boats with Chicken & Veggies Recipe
- 2 zucchini
- 2 tbsp Mazola Corn Oil
- 3/4 cup grilled chicken breast cubed
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1/3 cup red onion
- 1/3 cup fat-free shredded cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat grill to 400 degrees f.
- Wash & dry your zucchini.
- Carefully slice zucchini down the middle to create two long halves.
- Using an ice cream scoop (metal works best) gently hollow out the seeds and softer flesh.
- Using a pastry brush, oil all surfaces of the zucchini.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper and grill over medium heat for 5-7 minutes (400 degrees f.).
- As your zucchini are grilling, add 1 tbsp of Mazola Corn Oil to a pan, and sautee the peppers, onions, and chicken until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Once zucchini are done grilling, stuff with sauteed chicken and veggies.
- Top with the fat-free cheese, and then return to the grill and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Enjoy warm!