These Iced Easy Lemon Muffins feature a vibrant, fluffy lemon inside, and a jumbo, crisp muffin top. Made with Greek yogurt, they are irresistible!
If you love all things lemon like us, then these muffins are for you! They are the best warmer weather muffins! I love how fluffy and yummy the “cake” is inside the muffin. The giant muffin tops are so crisp and taste scrumptious plain or iced.
Before starting this recipe, you’ll want to verify that you have the following ingredients:
- Butter – This recipe uses one stick of unsalted butter. It is very important that it is room temperature so that it fluffs up nicely when mixed with the sugar.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar sweetens these muffins.
- Eggs – Large eggs at room temperature help to moisten and bind these muffins.
- Greek yogurt – You can use vanilla flavor or plain. This adds abundant moisture to the muffin.
- Vanilla extract – Adds a nice flavor to the muffins.
- Lemon extract – Enhances the lemon flavor of these muffins.
- Lemon zest – Brings the vibrant lemon flavor to these muffins.
- Baking soda – Helps these muffins to do their baking magic.
- Salt – Enhances all the tasty flavors in this recipe.
- All-purpose flour – The flour that helps provide the structure to the cupcake.
Equipment and Supplies Needed
We used the following equipment and supplies to make this recipe. Items that are optional or can be substituted will be noted.
- 6-count Jumbo Muffin Tin – Can also use a 12-count muffin tin.
- Jumbo muffin liners – Makes baking easier and cleaner.
- Ice cream scoop – to scoop the batter into the liners.
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment – Needed to cream the sugar and butter. You can also use a hand mixer.
- Rubber spatula – Helps to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowls.
- Zester – To zest the lemon.
- Chef’s knife – to cut the lemon for juicing.
- Measuring Cups & spoons – To measure your ingredients
- Whisk – To combine the dry ingredients.
- Medium bowl – To combine the dry ingredients in.
This recipe is easy to make if you know the right tips and tricks! Here are my tips for ensuring your Lemon Muffins come out perfectly.
You can use plain, vanilla, or zero sugar (like Oikos) Greek Yogurt. Additionally, you can use sour cream instead of the Greek yogurt. They will also do the same which is to bring moisture to the muffin.
I love jumbo, bakery-style muffins so I used my light colored jumbo muffin tin. If you would like to make these, you can use a jumbo pan which makes 6 muffins, or a standard muffin tin which makes 12. If you don’t have muffin liners, consider using a silicone muffin pan, or use ample baking spray.
These muffins are delicious when enjoyed alone or with icing. If you do not have fresh lemon on-hand, you can use milk as a substitute with the powdered sugar. Additionally, you can add 1/4 teaspoon of lemon extract to the icing to give it a slight lemon flavor.
If you want to store your Lemon Muffins, just follow these easy steps.
Allow them to fully cool to room temperature. This will take a good 90 minutes since they retain heat well. If you do not allow them to cool fully they will sweat, and lose their crunchy muffin tops.
Place them in a airtight container or wrap them in plastic wrap.
Store them at room temperature for up to 4 days.
lemon muffins don’t need to be refrigerated.
Lemon muffins can be stored frozen for up to 3 months. If you want to freeze your muffins, allow them to cool for at least 90 minutes. Then, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap, use a food storage system, freezer-safe container, or zippered bag to prevent freezer burn. Next, store them inside the freezer where they won’t be crushed by other heavy foods.
When you’re ready to eat your frozen muffin, you can remove it from the freezer the night before and allow it to defrost at room temperature. Defrosting a jumbo muffin at room temperature could take up to 3 or 4 hours.
Alternatively, you can microwave the frozen muffin to defrost it. Just remove it from the plastic wrap before microwaving.
Microwave on high for about 1 minute, check it, and microwave for additional 30-second intervals until warm and ready to eat!
Follow the recipe below to make Iced Jumbo Lemon Muffins! This recipe makes 6 Jumbo Muffins, but you can adjust the recipe card for other serving sizes.
More Lemon Baked Goods to Try
Easy Lemon Muffins with Icing
- 6-count Jumbo Muffin Tin (or 12-count muffin tin)
- Jumbo muffin liners
- ice cream scoop
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment
- rubber spatula
- Measuring Cups & spoons
- Medium bowl
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (½ cup or one stick) room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup Greek yogurt can use vanilla flavor or plain
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Add cupcake liners to the muffin tin and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, add butter and sugar and beat until fluffy; about 3 minutes for room temperature butter. It might take a little longer if your butter was chilled.
- Add eggs in one at a time to the batter. Once they are combined, add in the extracts and the Greek yogurt.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and flour. Slowly add it to the stand mixer until just combined. Do not overmix or the muffins will not rise.
- Bake muffins for 18-22 minutes. The muffins will be fluffy, and should be firm when gently presses. A toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean. The muffins will have a deep, golden-brown coloring.
- Cool Muffins for 15 minutes before dipping in icing.
- Add lemon juice, zest, and powdered sugar to a medium bowl and whisk to combine. The icing will be thick. If it is too runny, add 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar and repeat until thickened.
- Dip cooled muffin tops in icing and swirl tops to remove excess. Allow muffin icing to set before enjoying.