What’s better than a bunch of juicy, sweet cherry tomatoes roasted with garlic? Not much! This recipe is so easy and quick to make that you’ll be cooking it up in no time. The only problem is deciding what to do with all the delicious cherry tomato goodness that this dish will inevitably produce. I recommend putting some aside for your next meal, or chopping them up and tossing them into a salad or pasta. Yum!
We’re all about easy recipes that taste good and are good for you. This week, we’re going to show you how to make roasted cherry tomatoes with garlic! The recipe is simple: grab some fresh tomatoes and throw them in the oven with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and a few cloves of garlic. After 20 minutes or so in the oven, your house will be smelling great and all you have to do is enjoy these savory tomatoes as an appetizer or snack; they pair well with breadsticks too!
Ingredient for Roasting Tomatoes
- Cherry tomatoes – We used garden-fresh tomatoes in 3 different varieties. My favorite type are the sunburst!
- Fresh garlic cloves – Garden-fresh garlic is also the best! If you can get it fresh, it is best to use that type, or at least cloves vs. jarred types.
- Basil – Chopped fresh variety is best, but even Italian dry spice would work!
- Olive Oil – A quality variety should be used for best results.
- Spices – Black pepper and salt will work best to enhance the natural tomato flavor.
How to Roast Cherry Tomatoes
Do you think you have to cut roasted tomatoes in half? I’ll tell you right now, no. You do not need to cut your roasted tomatoes in half! What is that all about anyways? It’s just another one of those cooking rules people make up because they don’t know any better. All this does is create more dishes for later and cause a lot of unnecessary mess on your cutting board. These delicate little veggies will burst on their own from the high oven temperature.
To prepare your tomatoes, simply wash them in a colander, add them to a baking sheet, and pat excess moisture off. Add your garlic to the baking sheet, and drizzle the tomatoes with oil, and sprinkle them with fresh herbs and spices. Bake for 400 degrees for 25 minutes for optimal deliciousness. It is really that simple to produce the most gourmet tasting tomatoes ever!
What to do with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
These little beauties are packed full of flavor, which means they can be used in a variety of dishes. Don’t believe me? Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Add them to omelets for breakfast
- Mix them in with pasta
- Make tomato soup
- Blend it into a sauce
- Use it as a topping on pizza
- Turn it into chutney
- Make a roasted tomato salsa
- Serve over grilled meat
- Make roasted tomato hummus
- Use as pizza or sandwich topping.
- Top with feta cheese or mozzarella cheese!
- Serve as sauce over fish or chicken
- Use in quesadillas
- Top your favorite sandwich (like grilled cheese)
- Piled high onto an antipasto platter…the list goes on!!
- Serve over ricotta toast
- Add to soups
How to Free Roasted Tomatoes
You can then freeze roasted tomatoes for up to 3 months by placing them in freezer bags with as much air squeezed out as possible before sealing shut. These will be quite squishy in texture” so you might even consider a freezer-safe container that is air-tight. When you’re ready to use them, just defrost them overnight in the fridge and warm them up. depending on use.
Make a Quick Tomato Soup
You can even transform your roasted tomatoes into a soup! Ours produced enough liquid where I just needed to add a little whole milk to make it creamy. Simply do the following for a quick tomato soup.
- Add your roasted tomatoes to a bowl or use a blender to blend them up to a fine consistency that is similar to a thick soup.
- Add one cup of chicken stock or whole milk to make it creamy/thinner.
- Add the contents to a sauce pan, and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with additional cheese and croutons.
This was absolutely delicious and the texture was perfect!
Want to make your own batch of Roasted Cherry Tomatoes? Check out our recipe below!
Recipes for Roasted Tomatoes
White Stuffed Shells with Chicken
Chourico and Peppers Spaghetti
Flavorful Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Large Baking Sheet
- cutting board & knife
- oven (adjusted to the center rack position)
- 8 cups cherry tomatoes assorted varieties
- 8 cloves garlic peeled, and cut into smaller cloves if large
- 2 tablespoons basil chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
Leave a Reply