Featuring Velveeta cheese, Ro*Tel, and spicy sausage; this meal is a spin on the classic dip. This comforting slow cooker macaroni & cheese is spicy, creamy, & delicious! Best of all it is ready in 2 1/2 hours time!
This Slow Cooker Velveeta Spicy Sausage Dip Macaroni and Cheese is made in a slow cooker. This recipe is a great way to take your favorite comfort food and turn it into an easy and delicious dinner. All you need is the classic Velveeta cheese, RO-TEL, some elbow macaroni, and a few additional ingredients for creaminess and flavor. Easy slow cooker recipes like these are perfect for busy weeknights when you don’t have time to cook a full meal.
My family loved this meal although it was a bit salty for one of them–surely not a meal for anyone on a low-sodium diet. The processed cheese we used typically is on the saltier side so this recipe does not have any intentionally added salt to compensate for that flavor.
Sausage Macaroni & Cheese Ingredients
Pasta – Elbow macaroni is the preferred type of pasta for this dish because it holds onto the flavor.
Sour cream – Adds creaminess and flavor to this macaroni.
Evaporated milk – Adds additional creaminess to the dish.
Spices – Dry mustard powder, paprika, garlic, and onion powder are the spices we used. You could use a salt-free taco spice if you prefer.
Protein – We used spicy Jimmy Dean’s sausage which is super flavorful.
Tomatoes – RO-TEL offers so much flavor! Be sure to not drain the can because the juices are needed.
Cheese – We used the classic Velveeta Cheese which melts nicely.
Butter – Unsalted butter adds creaminess and flavor.
Green onion – This is to add some flavor and color. You can use chopped cilantro as well!
How to Make Velveeta Spicy Sausage Dip Macaroni & Cheese
In a large stockpot, boil pasta for 6 minutes. You do not want to fully cook it and are only parboiling it. Once done, rinse with cool water and drain.
In a large skillet, brown sausage; drain any excess grease.
Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick spray.
Add the macaroni to the greased cooker insert followed by the evaporated milk, and sour cream.
Sprinkle spices over the pasta.
Layer over the browned sausage, RO-TEL, and then cubed Velveeta cheese, and butter pads.
Place the lid on the slow cooker, and set it to high mode for 2 hours stirring once at the one hour mark.
Keep the meal on low until eating. If it thicken too much, add 1/4 of milk or sour cream and mix.
Serve with green onion & enjoy!
You can store Velveeta Macaroni and Cheese in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. However, it is important to note that the taste and texture of the product may be altered by cold temperatures. To heat, place leftovers in a microwave-safe bowl and heat throughout. You can add additional sour cream or a splash of milk to make it creamy again.
Slow Cooker Sausage Macaroni & Cheese
- 6-quart slow cooker
- Measuring Cups & spoons
- large skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- 1¼ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1¼ teaspoons onion powder
- 16 ounces ground spicy sausage
- 10.5 ounces RO-TEL
- 32 ounces Velveeta Cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons green onion
- In a large stockpot, boil pasta for 6 minutes. You do not want to fully cook it and are only parboiling it. Once done, rinse with cool water and drain.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage; drain any excess grease.
- Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Add the macaroni to the greased cooker insert followed by the evaporated milk, and sour cream.
- Sprinkle spices over the pasta.
- Layer over the browned sausage, RO-TEL, and then cubed Velveeta cheese, and butter pads.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker, and set it to high mode for 2 hours stirring once at the one hour mark.
- Keep the meal on low until eating. If it thicken too much, add 1/4 of milk or sour cream and mix.
- Serve with green onion & enjoy!
LOve the combination of ingredients here. So delicious Thanks for sharing.
Sara Welch says
Enjoyed this for dinner last night and it was a hit all around the table! Turned out creamy, hearty and delicious; my kind of comfort food, indeed!
What a great combo of two crowd-pleasing dishes! Going to make this mac and cheese for my Super Bowl gathering on Sunday. Thanks for the recipe!
This is a mac n’ cheese that I love. The sausage makes it great.
This is a dish that never has leftovers! Crockpot – licked clean!