A crispy, crunchy egg roll wrapper holds a creamy, delicious crab rangoon filling that is absolutely irresistible. Served with Asian sweet chili sauce, these make a tasty side dish or appetizer idea.
I don’t know about you, but crab rangoons are one of my all-time favorite appetizers. I love them deep fried, but have since resorted to either oven-baking them, or air frying them. There is just something so delicious about the crispy, golden-brown outter, and slightly sweet, creamy inner.
Since wonton and egg roll wrappers are essentially the same thing, but different sizes, I thought it would be yummy to create the magic of crab rangoons in a larger size. Plus, I know a local resturant started making these and they sell out all the time. That right there was enough motivation to get this recipe done, and posted to share. I hope you all enjoy this yumminess, but be sure to serve them with dipping sauce! Sweet Asian Chili makes everything just taste better. I love the Panda Express brand which I find at stores like Walmart.
Crab Rangoon Egg Roll Ingredients
- Cream Cheese is the heart of the filling, and provides a rich, velvety base that complements the other flavors.
- Imitation crab meat adds a delicate seafood flavor and texture to the filling, mimicking the taste of real crab.
- Chopped green onions bring a fresh, subtle oniony flavor and a hint of crunch to the filling.
- Worcestershire sauce, or soy sauce as a substitute, adds a savory umami depth to the filling, enhancing the overall taste.
- Garlic powder provides a subtle garlicky note that complements the other savory flavors.
- Ginger powder adds a hint of warmth and spice, balancing the richness of the cream cheese.
- A touch of granulated sugar balances the savory flavors and adds a subtle sweetness to the filling.
- Egg Roll Wrappers provide a crispy, golden-brown exterior to encase the creamy filling.
- Water is used to seal the edges of the egg roll wrappers, ensuring they stay closed during frying.
- Cooking spray, preferably avocado oil spray, helps prevent the egg rolls from sticking to the pan or air fryer basket during cooking. It also helps the egg roll to brown, and bubble to mimic deep frying.
How to Make Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls
In your trusty food processor, blend the softened cream cheese, imitation crab meat, chopped green onions, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, ginger powder, and granulated sugar until they meld into a smooth, delectable mixture.
Wrapping Up the Goodness
Lay out two egg roll wrappers in a diamond, ready to embrace the creamy filling.
Scoop three tablespoons of the filling (a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop works wonders!) and gently place it horizontally across the center of each wrapper.
Fold the closest corner over the filling, tucking it in like a cozy blanket. Then, fold the left and right corners towards the center, overlapping slightly, creating a snuggly embrace.
Roll the wrapper upwards, tucking in any loose edges for a neat, compact roll. As you reach the top corner, brush a touch of water along the edge, sealing the deal with a delicate touch.
Air Fryer Magic
Preheat your air fryer to a toasty 400℉ for 5 minutes, preparing for a crispy transformation.
Give the egg rolls a gentle spray of cooking oil, then carefully arrange them in the preheated air fryer, ready for their crispy makeover.
Cook for 4 minutes, then rotate the egg rolls, ensuring all surfaces get a golden touch.
Once they’re golden brown and crispy, it’s time to savor the irresistible goodness!
Serving with a Sweet Finale
Plate the warm egg rolls, their crispy exterior guarding the creamy treasure within.
Alongside, present a delightful dipping bowl of sweet chili sauce, a perfect complement to the savory flavors.
Storing Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls
Unfortunately, cream cheese does not freeze well so these cannot be prepared for freezing, or frozen after cooking. However, I am confident that they will go relatively quickly and might only need to be refirgerated for a day or two. To recrisp, air fryer them with additional cooking spray until crispy and golden-brown.
Budget-Friendly Imitation Crab Recipes
Air Fryer Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer
- measuring spoons
- rubber spatula
- cookie scoop
- food processor
Crab Rangoon Filling
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces imitation crab meat
- 3 tablespoons green onion
- 2½ tablespoons worcestershire sauce *can sub in soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- 2 tablespoons water
- cooking spray *I used avocado oil spray
- In a food processor, blend the softened cream cheese with the imitation crab meat, chopped green onions, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, ginger powder, and granulated sugar until you have a smooth, mixture.
- Lay out 2 eggg rolls wrappers like a diamond and add 3 tablespoons of filling (I used a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop to achieve this) horizontally across the center of the wrapper,
- Fold the closest corner over the filling, then fold the left and right corners towards the center. Roll the wrapper upwards, tucking in any loose edges, and seal the top corner with water before finishing the roll.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400℉. for 5 minutes
- Spray egg rolls and add them to the preheated air fryer.
- Cook for 4 minutes, and then rotate the egg rolls to brown all surfaces.
- Serve warm with sweet chili sauce.