Do you love crab rangoons? Do you love them even more when they’re deep fried and crispy on the outside, yet soft and creamy on the inside? I sure do, but I hate frying things in oil because it is messy and unhealthy. This air fryer crab rangoon recipe is for those of us who want to indulge but still keep it cleaner and lighter.
A new trend in home cooking is the air fryer. This piece of equipment can do everything from make French fries to roast a whole chicken, and now it’s your chance to get creative with an Air Fryer Crab Rangoons. This recipe features wonton wrappers stuffed with cream cheese, fresh garlic, spices, and imitation crab meat that are air fried to perfection. The result is a perfect finger food for any party or game day.
Is there Actually Crab in Crab Rangoons?
This short answer is no, they are made of imitation crab meat.
The crab rangoon, an appetizer dish that is synonymous with America’s favorite Chinese food take out spot, has been the subject of much debate. Some people say there is no actual crab in them while others insist that there must be some type of seafood or fish product in them. But what exactly are they?
Typically, these fried (or in this case air fried) wonton wrappers are filled with cream cheese and imitation crab meat which gives these appetizers their distinctive flavor and texture. It doesn’t really matter if you believe the filling contains any real crabs because these tasty treats will still keep your stomach full and happy! If you do not like crab, you can enjoy these Cream Cheese Wontons which are equally delicious.
How to Make Crab Rangoons
In a large bowl, combined the softened cream cheese, rough chopped imitation crab meat, fresh garlic, Worchestshire sauce, sugar, and green onions. Combine until all mixed throughout. Spoon 1/2 tablespoon of mixture into the center of each wonton wrapper. Be careful to not overfill or you’ll have trouble folding it. Fold up two opposite corners so they meet in the center to form a triangle shape. It’s as simple as that!
Seal edges closed with water. I typically keep a small bowl of water nearby and dip my fingers in to do this step. Place them on the air fryer basket. I do not add any additional oil to my wontons or cooking spray because I find they do not stick. I was able to cook about 15 wontons each time.
How to Reheat Your Crab Rangoons in the Air Fryer
Reheating crab rangoon in an air fryer is a simple process that can be done quickly without compromising the taste or texture of this classic appetizer.
- Place rangoons on the air fryer tray.
- Set the Air Fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Reheat for 3-5 minutes or until rangoons are crisp on the outside and warm on the inside.
You can also microwave your crab rangoons for about 45 seconds to one minute, but they will not be as crisp as the air fryer. If you prefer to bake your crab rangoons in the oven, I also have the recipe for Baked Crab Rangoons on the site.
What to Serve with Crab Rangoons
I love crab rangoons. They’re my favorite appetizer at most Chinese restaurants. But what goes well with these air fried, cream cheese-filled wontons? I’ve compiled a list of my favorite dishes to serve with crab rangoons for your next dinner party.
- Asian Style Sweet Chili Sauce –this is by far the best dipping sauce for these.
- White Rice
- Chinese Sausage Pork Fried Rice
- Crab Meat Casserole
- Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Lo Mein
- Chicken Fingers
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Honey Sesame Chicken
- Apricot Sticky Wings
More Recipes that Use Imitation Crab Meat
Imitation crab meat is a great alternative to real crab that can be used in many recipes. It has the same flavor as real crab and it’s also low calorie. Below are some recipe ideas for using imitation crab meat!
- Crab Meat Stuffed Vidalia Onions
- Crab Meat Casserole (Chinese Buffet style)
- Seafood Salad
- Crab Pasta Salad
- Crab Pasta Casserole
Air Fryer Crab Rangoons Recipe
- Air Fryer
- large mixing bowl
- cutting board & knife
- small bowl
- 48 wonton wrappers
- 1½ pounds imitation crab meat
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons green onions
- 1½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worchestshire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic pressed for extra flavor
- On a cutting board rough chop crab meat into small pieces. You want to leave some texture.
- Add softened cream cheese, pressed garlic, Worchestshire sauce, sugar, and green onions to a large bowl. Add the crab meat and mix until fully combined.
- Spoon ½ tablespoon of mixture into the center of each wonton wrapper. Be careful to not overfill or you'll have trouble folding it. Fold up two opposite corners so they meet in the center to form a triangle shape. It's as simple as that! Dip fingers into fresh water to seal the wonton edges.
- Add 10-15 wontons at a time to the air fryer basket and set the air fryer to 350°F. Air fry for 5-6 minutes or until crisp with golden brown specks on the wontons. Repeat the process until all rangoons have been cooked. Serve warm.