Looking for a cheap and healthy snack? These oven-roasted chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) make a great snack. As an added bonus, they’re gluten-free! Check out this easy and tasty recipe.
They’re Easy to Make
Making roasted chickpeas is so easy and far from rocket science!
Simply pre-heat the oven, drain, rinse, dry, and season. That’s all the prep work needed before the chickpeas are lined on a baking sheet and placed in the oven for about 30 mins.
Read below for detailed instructions.
To make this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients.
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Drain your chickpeas, and rinse them in cold water
- Gently pat them dry with paper towels
- Toss them in a large bowl with spices and coat well
- Transfer to a nonstick baking sheet and place them in a 400-degree oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Cook until golden brown
Although this recipe is easy, you’ll want to follow these tips to make sure your roasted chickpeas come out perfectly:
After rinsing the canned chickpeas, be sure to dry them as best as you can. Ensuring there is not any excessive water left on their surface will allow the olive oil and spices to coat them efficiently.
This will help to roast them to a golden brown finish.
Spread Evenly on Baking Sheet
After coating the chickpeas with olive oil and spices, be sure to spread them evenly on a baking sheet as a single layer. If your chickpeas are piled on top of one another, they won’t cook fully and get toasted.
Roasted chickpeas don’t have to be made exactly like this recipe. In fact, I encourage you to put your own spin on them. Here are some variations you could try:
Roasted chickpeas can be made sweet instead of savory. Instead of using the spices in this recipe, use a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. You could also substitute brown sugar for white sugar.
Another delicious sounding variation would be spicy chickpeas. Instead of using black pepper, use chili powder or paprika. You could also try salt, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper flakes.
Follow the recipe below to make Roasted Chickpeas.
Easy Classic Roasted Chickpeas
- baking sheet
- 16 oz can of chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Drain your chickpeas, and the rinse them in cold water.
- Gently pat them dry with paper towels.
- Toss them in a large bowl with oil, and spices. Coat them well.
- Transfer to a nonstick baking sheet.
- Place them in the oven at 400°F. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.