This soup is a hearty and comforting meal that is perfect for a chilly day. It is made with ground beef, vegetables, chicken broth, and cheese, and is simmered until all of the flavors are melded together. It is a creamy, cheesy soup that goes perfectly with crusty bread. This post is sponsored by Laura’s Lean. All views expressed are that of our own.
If you love all things cheeseburger, you will love this soup. It is a crowd-pleasing recipe that can feed many. The flavors are so scrumptious and produce a creamy, hearty soup that is ideal for the fall weather. My kids could not get enough of this meal and requested I add it to the monthly rotation.
Why I Love this Cheeseburger Soup
- Cleanup – The soup can be made in one pot, so there is less cleanup. The roux can easily be prepared in a bowl with a microwave.
- Filling – The soup is a good source of protein and vegetables. Plus, there is no need to drain the grease since I used Laura’s Lean 96% Lean/4% Fat Ground Beef.
- Convenience – The soup can be made ahead of time and reheated.
- Versatile – The soup can be customized to your liking with different spices or cheeses.
Best Ground Beef for Soup
No one wants to have to drain excess grease from fatty ground beef when making a one pot meal. That is why I love using the #1 beef brand in America- Laura’s Lean Ground Beef. It is high in protein, and lower in fat and calories which creates a balanced meal. We love that it doesn’t contain added hormones as well which is important!
Cheeseburger Soup Ingredients
- Salted butter – Adds flavor and helps to thicken the soup.
- Onion, Celery, and Carrots – Adds color, flavor, and texture to the soup.
- Laura’s Lean Beef – Adds flavor and protein to the soup and contains 4% fat.
- Russet potatoes – Used to add body and texture to the soup.
- Chicken broth – Provides flavor and helps to create the creamy broth for this soup.
- All-purpose flour – Thickens the soup.
- Whole milk – Adds richness and creaminess to the soup.
- Spices – Add flavor to the soup and can be customized to your liking.
- Cheese – Cheddar provides color, flavor, and a creamy texture to the soup.
How to Make One-Pot Cheeseburger Soup
Heat butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, celery, and ground beef. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and ground beef is browned.
Stir in chicken broth and cubed potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
In a separate bowl, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk until thickened.
Add thickened milk to the soup pot, stirring as you pour it in. Stir in cheddar cheese cubes until melted.
Stir in sour cream. Serve immediately with green onion as a garnish.
Storing Cheeseburger Soup
- Refrigeration – Cheeseburger soup can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To store, let the soup cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container.
- Freezing – Cheeseburger soup can also be frozen for up to 1 month. To freeze, let the soup cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container. When you’re ready to eat the soup, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator, then reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
- If you’re freezing the soup, it’s best to leave out the sour cream and green onions. These ingredients can be added after the soup is thawed and reheated.
- When reheating the soup, be careful not to overcook it. The soup can become watery if it’s reheated too long.
- You can also add a splash of cream to the soup when you’re reheating it to help thicken it up.
More Yummy Beef Recipes
- Air Fryer Salisbury Steaks
- One Pot Cheesy Beef Macaroni
- Easy Cheesy Beef, Onion, & Potato Puff Pastry Pockets
One-Pot Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- 9.5 quart Dutch oven
- cutting board and knife
- Measuring Cups & spoons
- 4 tablespoons salted butter divided
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ¾ cup celery diced
- ¾ cup carrots shredded
- 16 ounces Laura's Lean 96% Lean/4% Fat Ground Beef
- 4 cups russet potatoes cubes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole milk warmed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon herbs de provence
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 ounces cubed cheddar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Heat a Dutch oven with butter and add carrots, onion, celery, and ground beef.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, and the ground beef is browned; about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, and cubed potatoes; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- In a microwave-safe bowl (or small saucepan) add 3 tablespoons of butter and melt. Whisk in flour until smooth and lump-free, slowly add in milk until thick to create a roux.
- Add the thickened milk to the soup pot stirring as you pour it in.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese cubes until melted.
- Finish the soup with sour cream, and stir.
- Serve immediately with green onion as a garnish.