2 Ingredient Cherry Angel Food Cake comes together with just 2 ingredient items. You won’t need eggs, water, oil, or anything but cherry pie filling, and Angel food cake to bake this up. It is a perfect summertime cake that you have to make to experience! This fluffy, cherry cake is loaded with moist cherry chunks and can be made in a 9 x 13 cake pan, or a Bundt pan.
If you’re looking for a cake that is so simple to prepare, you’ve come to the right place! This Angel food cake made with Cherry Pie Filling is incredible! While it doesn’t bake up nearly as high as a traditional Angel food cake, it is nicely textured and so tasty! If you love maraschino cherries, this recipe is for you!!
Do you love Angel food cake but hate how you have to bake it in a fluted tube pan? Maybe you don’t own this type of pan? My grandmother used to have so many of these styles of pan, but a tube pan was one baking must-have that I didn’t own (and still don’t).
I once tried to bake an angel food cake ( following the box recipe) in a Bundt cake and that baby exploded…ALL inside my new stove. I am talking “smell of burnt marshmallow wafting through my home, expanded cake mix seeping through the stove grates kind of nightmare.” Don’t ever try that folks!
But this angel food cake recipe does not follow the box instructions and uniquely only uses 1 can of cherry pie filling to make it bake! So, I am sure you will have many questions about this 2 ingredient cake recipe, so I am going to try to answer them all below.
It is super, duper important that you follow these exact sizes and types for these 2 items, or “ingredients” needed to bake this cake.
- 16 ounce Angel Food cake mix – This recipe ONLY works with the Just Add Water varieties and will not come out right with the egg pouch brands. Make sure you purchase just add water or you will not have a cake that will set.
- 21 ounces of Cherry Pie Filling – It must be juice and not syrup!!
Pan Type and Coating
For this recipe, you do not need to grease a glass baking pans with nonstick spray. The angel food cake rises and needs the pan to “climb up” your pan. If you heavily grease it, the cake will not rise and will be a flat bust! Your cake will leave a coating in your glass pan, but once fully cooled you’ll be able to remove the slices from the pan.
Metal Bundt Pans
If using a metal Bundt cake pan you will need to grease your pan, or your cake will not effortlessly come out. I prefer using Baker’s Joy nonstick baking spray which is made with flour and oils.
If you are following a certain lifestyle (like WW) I recommend using sugar-free whipped topping and a cherry. If not, whipped cream, or topping like Cool Whip tastes really good! Even some vanilla ice cream would pair well!
This cake can be frozen (with no toppings) after cooling in an airtight container for up to 30 days. When stored at room temperature it will last 4-5 days covered tightly.
Summer Cake Recipes
- Chocolate Mayo Cake
- Pistachio Dream Whip Cake
- Pineapple 2 Ingredient Angel Food Cake
- Lemonade Ice Box Pie
2 Ingredient Cherry Angel Food Cake
- oven (adjusted to the center rack)
- large mixing bowl
- rubber spatula
- 9 x 13 cake pan or 10-cup Bundt pan
- 16 ounces Angel Food Cake Mix Do not use the egg pouch type. Just add water variety only.
- 21 ounces Canned cherry pie filling
- Adjust oven rack to the center position. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix dry cake mix and the entire can of cherry pie filling in a large bowl. Whisk to carefully combine until thick, pink, and fluffy.
- Add batter to an ungreased 9 x 13 glass or ceramic baking dish. You do not want to grease this type of pan. See notes or post for pan details.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 30 minutes before slicing. The cake will be very fluffy and depress a bit in the center once it cools.
- Serve with whipped topping, and a cherry! Enjoy!