Halloween Chili Con Queso Dip is a delicious 10-minute queso cheese dip that features canned chilies, pimentos, green olives, food coloring, and Cooper Sharp White Cheese.
Halloween is a little over a month away and I cannot help but bring out all the spooky recipes that make my kids smile. I have so much fun turning some of our go-to recipes into spooky Halloween treats.
Today’s recipe is based off of our wildly popular White Queso Dip which can be enjoyed any time of year. Today, I wanted to switch things up and make a Halloween version that is both naturally and artificially green in color.
You can make this recipe for game days, parties, or a midnight snack (hey, you never know). To make it any time of year just omit the green dye, and maybe the olives if you are not a fan.
What Cheese Makes White Queso
The best cheese for white queso or chili con queso is a creamy, sharp white variety. My personal favorite variety is Cooper Sharp White American Cheese. It has a creamy, salty, sharp flavor and has a texture similar to American cheese.
- 1 lb Cooper Sharp White Cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4.5 ounces of green chilies
- 1 tablespoon diced cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp pimentos
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp flour
How to Make Chili Con Queso Cheese Dip (Halloween Style)
You will need a thick-walled, small saucepan to make this stovetop chili con queso.
I added the milk and butter to a low/medium saucepan and then added the cheese cubes and spices.
Over low/medium heat, I stirred for about 5 minutes until the cheese melted.
Then, I added the drained chilies and pimentos. To thicken the queso, and the flour to thicken it up a bit.
Turn down the heat to low to keep the cheese creamy. This cheese will harden when it cools, but it can be reheated in the microwave.
More Halloween Food Ideas
Halloween Chili Con Queso Dip
- small stockpot
- 1 pound Cooper Sharp White Cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4.5 ounces green chilies
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon pimentos
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ tablespoon flour
- 6 drops green neon food dye
- Dice/prep add your veggies and prepare your ingredients.
- Chop Cooper Cheese into small cubes.
- Add milk, and butter into a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add cheese and stir over medium heat.
- Add in veggies and stir. Cheese should be thin and creamy.
- Add in flour to thicken and stir until fully combined.
- Add in green food dye and keep over lowest heat setting until ready to eat. Enjoy warm.